Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#416219 09/14/11 04:18 PM
D
debbief Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Several years ago I bought a Nokia cell phone with a Digicell SIM card so that I have a local number to use on my trips down. However, I've lost my charger and can't find a replacement. Am I better off buying an unlocked phone before I come down next time and using my old SIM card, or waiting until I'm on the island and just buy a new phone once I arrive? If I should buy one before I come, does anyone have a recommendation so that I know that it will work with my old SIM card?

Thanks for any help!

DebbieF

Deb,

Maybe a better question would be, is my Digicel SIM card (phone number) still valid?

If it has been several years since you last used it BTL may very well have cancelled the number(SIM). Email them your phone number and see if it can activated still.

Personally I think I paid about $30 for a very basic ublocked GSM Quadband Nokia 1661 about two years ago and then about $50Bzd for the SIM. I've kept the SIM active by periodically topping it off with $5 Bzd about every 6 months or so.

You may want to consider renting a phone if you dont care about owning one. It seems to me a number of people here on the board offered links to very reasonable rental companies on Ambergris.

What model Nokia phone is it? I know you mentioned you could find a replacement but I've had excellent luck finding them on Amazon.

Here's a link to Digicell if you dont already have one handy

http://www.digicell.bz/your-account.html

Note Edit: the 1661 is no longer a current model but you can buy it on Amazon still for about 35 to 45$. The simialr current model is the C1-01.

Last edited by Bear; 09/14/11 06:20 PM.
I have AT&T as my service in the US. What I do is go by a cheap pay as you go phone, put my US chip in ... call and get the phone unlocked, when I arrive at BZ international go across the street to the BTL office and have them reactivate my phone and add minutes to my BZ chip. Then you are good to go. Phones in BZ cost more than the pay as you go phones in the US.

mary
Bear is correct - phone numbers get "recycled" down here very quickly and while the number itself may still be active it may no longer be assigned to your SIM Card! You would need to give them the 19 digit number from the SIM along with the phone number to check that the two are still in sync. If you don't want to go down the rental route then definitely bring/buy an unlocked phone with you as it will be way less than the price here (any unlocked dual band 850/1900 GSM phone will work)and you can purchase your SIM in advance so you can give the number to friends/family via the Hot Guide.

HOT Guide Belize - now on your mobile phone! Info, events, discounts & more - www.hotguidebelize.com
D
debbief Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Thanks for the responses!

Sorry - I should have mentioned that I own a condo and come down several times a year. So far my SIM card has stayed active for years and my number hasn't changed. The phone gets quite a bit of use when I'm down, so I like having the same phone number (not to mention all of the numbers stored in the phone book). I was pretty sure it would be best to buy a phone here, but had no idea what to buy so that I could be sure it would work in Belize.

An unlocked GSM Quadband phone? Sounds easy enough!

DebbieF

Originally Posted by debbief
Thanks for the responses! An unlocked GSM Quadband phone? Sounds easy enough!

doh! lol, sorry Debbie, just look for what GeckoGirl mentioned; an unlocked GSM phone that uses the 850/1900 frequencies...

you still didnt say what phone youd lost you charger for...

I'd go for another Nokia personally. You seemed to have been happy with the one you had.

Last edited by Bear; 09/14/11 10:28 PM.
D
debbief Offline OP
OP Offline
D
I don't have the model number handy, but I did search online for a replacement charger when I realized it was missing. Since I've had the phone for about 5 years I don't mind replacing it. I'll check out the Nokia you mentioned. I don't need a fancy phone, just one to make phone calls! Thanks for taking the time to help.

DebbieF

Here is some info on cell phone charges in Belize.
http://tacogirl.com/2011/08/belize-cell-phone/

I know At&t phones work here for get what other carries, just ask at Best buy or some store like that.

In order to have mobile cellular service in Belize, an unlocked GSM (Global System Mobile Communication) 1900 MHZ cellular phone is required.

San Pedro based Belize Blog since 2007 - great travel resources & discounts https://tacogirl.com/

One other tid bit that may be useful is to go to BTL and register your phone number while you are here on your next visit. I think it's $10-$15. That way if you lose your phone or someone steals it or the SIM is damaged you can still get that number back. Or for your situation while you're in the States you can be sure that you will always have that number.

Originally Posted by hazzyy
One other tid bit that may be useful is to go to BTL and register your phone number while you are here on your next visit. I think it's $10-$15. That way if you lose your phone or someone steals it or the SIM is damaged you can still get that number back. Or for your situation while you're in the States you can be sure that you will always have that number.

Now thats the best piece of useful information in a while! smile

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 297 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.