Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
JZB Offline
We are currently trying to find out the actual maritime rules on this. At first check, the Port Authority said it was 100' off shore but we all know that 100' off shore is only knee deep so we will keep checking.

not to mention that most docks already extend well past that 100' mark. Thanks.

Last edited by Bear; 09/17/11 09:58 AM.
perhaps all hotels, condos and other rental places could provide a rope with a lifevest with a flag sticking up or something? truth is, ive literally argued with tourists when telling them they are too far out...that the area more than 20' off the end of the dock is a highway. Tulu taught me that when i first got here, and told me stories of boats hitting snorkelers.

there must be a thing the snorkelers can drag along that will give some vertical and colorful warning to boat captains

J
JEL Offline
J
Originally Posted by LaraTravelBelize
perhaps all hotels, condos and other rental places could provide a rope with a lifevest with a flag sticking up or something? truth is, ive literally argued with tourists when telling them they are too far out...that the area more than 20' off the end of the dock is a highway. Tulu taught me that when i first got here, and told me stories of boats hitting snorkelers.

there must be a thing the snorkelers can drag along that will give some vertical and colorful warning to boat captains

I agree.....

Agree!....In that area i have also seen some close calls. It is crazy to snorkel their without having a Diver down flag! They should have had an inflatable float with the flag attached ...or a flag with a pocket buoy attached. These units are CHEAP to buy, and can be packed in a suitcase. The water taxi was WAY TO CLOSE! That place has been an....accident waiting to happen...for quite some time. The Port Authority NEEDS to mandate some immediate changes!...as well as the Hotel, otherwise someone is going home in a body bag. It's too late now for al the "shoulda...couda...woulda's"....

----------------------------------------
"I only fish on days that end in "Y" smile

Updated info, and somewhat different from the first accounts...

http://ambergristoday.com/content/s...oon-horror-san-pedro-after-boat-accident

Originally Posted by LaraTravelBelize
truth is, ive literally argued with tourists when telling them they are too far out...that the area more than 20' off the end of the dock is a highway.

I'm going to reserve final opinion until the official report is released.Lara has made a point that deserves consideration. Particularly when reading about statements made by passengers on the water taxi as to boat location.

This in no way affects my feelings that this is a tragic event for two people celebrating the beginning of their lives together. And now, all things considered, I may have to extend that compassion to the skipper of the boat as well. We'll have to see.

And a HUGE HUGE HUGE THANK YOU to all the first responders, The Poly Clinic and everyone involved in saving this mans life. It is a miracle he survived, and I for one am grateful for the amazing people of Ambergris Caye.

Namaste...for real.

Originally Posted by JZB
We are currently trying to find out the actual maritime rules on this. At first check, the Port Authority said it was 100' off shore but we all know that 100' off shore is only knee deep so we will keep checking.

If I recall the rules from my Captain's License test , the no wake zone is 100 Yards (not feet) offshore. There are other provisions for safe (slow) driving when approaching piers. If the pier is 400 feet out there is no justification for buzzing it.

Diane the 100' reference may come from a Maritime Authority document like this one, albeit not Ambergris Caye.

http://www.portauthority.bz/index.php?action=download_resource&id=23&module=resourcesmodule

Beyond that bit of info gleaned from the Belize Maritime website I'll defer to you skipper.

Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 94 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,202
Posts500,025
Members20,466
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.