Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
I have seen visitors swimming way out into the boat lanes, I feel that all hotels and resorts should make all their guests know that swimming out past the ends of the dock is a no no. and signs should be placed on every dock warning of the dangers of swimming out too far. Visitors do not know about the boat traffic, and it is so tempting to go off for a swim in what seems to be shallow water.

If you outlaw guns, only outlaws will have guns.
A bullet fired,cannot be called back.
A.C.G.C.
Originally Posted by Bear
Diane the 100' reference may come from a Maritime Authority document like this one, albeit not Ambergris Caye.

http://www.portauthority.bz/index.php?action=download_resource&id=23&module=resourcesmodule

Beyond that bit of info gleaned from the Belize Maritime website I'll defer to you skipper.

Maybe I inserted my version of common sense. Man would I hate to hurt somebody.

Apparently from an Ambergris Today article the couple was far offshore. According to the passengers on both the Caye Caulker taxi that gave aid and the passenegers of the SP Express, both boats were in their normal lane of traffic, which based on my times on the taxi is several hundreds of yards offshore.

People not used to the water as a means of transprotation dont see the inner reef waters as being a road or freeway system, we do need (will) to post reminders of this. I mean even the most well informed people will sometimes do what they want but at least we'll have done what we can to keep them informed.

Who knows what the mental state of the couple was? Was it oh how nice lets go snorkeling, and the the time and distance got away from them?, or was it lets swim to the reef but we'll need to keep an eye peeled? Tragic all the way around.

Just a small suggestion, If snorkelers are going from the dock or kayak why don't you make them use a dives flag.
In Florida all snorkelers and divers must have 1 dive flag per group that they tow to be seem by boat. This is even true for people who enter from the beach. The resorts/houses can give them to guests to be borrowed.
If we still owned Ecologic we would make every divemaster carry 1 per group as the boat captains do always see the divers surfacing

Originally Posted by ecodiver
Just a small suggestion, If snorkelers are going from the dock or kayak why don't you make them use a dives flag.
In Florida all snorkelers and divers must have 1 dive flag per group that they tow to be seem by boat. This is even true for people who enter from the beach. The resorts/houses can give them to guests to be borrowed.

Its a suggestion I'm already pursuing for my guests Eco,

But its like a seat belt, you can put them in the car but you cant make people use them, and just like seat belts that happens even when its required. I'll also be adding some additional language to our house information book about water safety issues.

i will talk to some of the dive centers to see if there is one that wants to bring some flag and floats in to be sold. or maybe Captain Sharks

it occurs to me Eco that by giving snorkelers towable buoys and flags, you'd still need to be sure they understand these are not "bulletproof vests" that ensure their safety regardless of location...I would still caution them to stay within a set distance of our dock to avoid enetering even the close in boat lanes used by, say the coastal water taxi.

S
S
And who will enforce your regulations?

SP, I think Eco was simply making a point that in some areas aka Florida they do require them. He can answer for himself but I didnt interpret his comment that regs be put in place. I most certainly am not in case you were thinking that.

I'm headed toward some commonsense education of my guests, signage on my dock and perhaps even making a small towable dive float available for them to use even around the end of the dock. Thats prudent and cost effective and I've then done what i can do.

If these kinds of accidents were happening multiple times a year that might warrant legislation, but not what appears to be an isolated incident. Plus,and i know where youre headed with your question, I've already seen that Belize has a hard enough time enforcing the laws they've got.

J
JMR Offline
J
Tourists are the life blood of Ambergris Caye and of Belize. Belize should be doing all it can do to protect tourists and tourism. Having boats run up and down the coast coming within 20 feet or so of the end of many of the piers is just wrong, unsafe and something that is endangering lives and the business of tourism in the country. Just imagine headlines in the travel section saying another tourist was run over in Belize by a boat. In my mind, it would be simple to put out channel markers that keep boats out 200 to 250 yards off shore until you get up north where coral becomes an issue, allowing only coming towards the shore for a purpose, like dropping off or picking up passengers. The coast guard could make this happen in a week if the government chose to do so.

Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 316 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.