Wednesday Night SURVIVOR on the BIG Screen

5pm Last Weeks show
6pm Live Broadcast
Free Admission

Friday, Saturday and Sunday

Bridesmaids -7pm
Transformers 3 - 9:30 pm

Sunday - The Amazing Race - 6pm followed by the Movies

Survivior & Amazing Race Free admission!

Movies are $6bz or both for $9bz
best bang for your entertainment buck on the Island!!!

Coming Soon

Rocky Horror Picture Show - October 29th

November is Classic Movie nights - Featuring Casablanca and Gone with the Wind plus many more unforgetable features

Paradise Theater
at the Bridge

Air Conditioned, Full Bar, Dolby Digital Surround Sound
NO MOSQUITOS

My family has been enjoying the Paradise Theatre movies on the weekends and hope that it will be a regular outing.

I have been encouraging my friends to go and especially the San Pedro High students as there is little else for them to do on the island on weekend nights.

But I have a question, is there any reasoning behind the fact that the theatre is showing an R rated movie at 7pm and then a PG-13 movie at 9:30pm. Shouldn't it be the other way around?

Needless to say, although I haven't seen it I understand that Bridesmaids is a little risque. So that means I will not be allowing my teenager to go and watch. Which is a huge bummer since she and her friends have been looking forward to going to the movies this weekend. And the 9:30 showing is a tad too late as she wouldn't reach home til around midnight.

A midnight curfew works occasionally, but not every weekend. Not yet ....

Is the movie theatre taking requests for movies yet?

Avatar and Titanic please. Maybe Mama Mia and Grease.....

And what about more concerts? Queen, Madonna, Blue Man Group.

I've been gone off island for awhile but tried to keep up here on this link. Maybe I missed it - but who is running the theater? Who gets the money? I refuse to put one red cent in Jerr Pierce's pocket!

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles
I don't know who runs the theatre and I don't know if Jeff Pierce is involved, I don't have any personal grudge against Jeff Pierce.

I love the fact that there is a theatre on the island. My son's elementary school held the Christmas pageant there last year - no rain, no mosquitoes, a/c, clean - it was fabulous.

I love the fact that the teenager has a place to go and watch a movie with friends, enjoy some popcorn and a laugh.

I love the fact that my whole family can go there together and enjoy a live musical, a piano recital, a broadway singer, a country star, a movie and a christmas play.

There was a lovely charity function - an art show, held at the theatre that showcased local artists and raised money for the Mama Vilma house of Love - a project that will build a home for domestic abuse victims and neglected children.

So, I am grateful that somebody had the vision to provide such a great community oriented entertainment centre.

And last but not least - do you seriously believe that the theatre is making any money at $6 a head? I would be shocked if it is even breaking even at this time. I hope to encourage folks to attend the shows so that they don't have to close the doors and we lose one of the very few forms of family entertainment available on the island.

The last 2 times I went to the movies there were a total of 14 people in the theatre (including me and my family.) We have been there and had the place completely to ourselves.

OP Offline
So Amanda, you will just have to come out too!!!

Actually, there are a lot of factors that go into scheduling the movies, and I do want to hear what people want to see.

There is no rating system here in Belize and we use the MPAA (Motion picture association of America) only as a guideline. With the movie channels on cable and sattelite, kids have access to everything so the rating system is slowly eroding and not really a factor so much anymore, only xxx.

As any Belize business owner knows, you can pretty much throw the marketing handbook out the window as Belize is a very unique market.

The trend we have been seeing at the theater is we are getting more adults for the 7 show and teenagers for the 9.

I had to re-schedule Rocky Horror for 10pm as the over 40 crowd is complaining that midnight is to late..
(I even offered to supply the Geritol)

However, there are issues such as clearance rights and availability that factor in.

For example: James Cameron has pulled all the prints of Titanic and we cannot get the rights to show it, as he is re-releasing it in 3d so sorry no Titanic for now.

Blue man group is comming shortly (November),So is Casablanca, Gone with the wind, Dr. Strangelove, Rocky Horror (Oct 29th) and more.

Paradise Theater is a very unique market as it is a 300 seat theater which is considered a large theater by multiplex standards. (Princess only has 125 seats in each theater.) SO we are a large theater on an island in one of the smallest countries in the world. (We were actually joking about checking the Guinnes book to see if we qualify.)

Many times I am asked why we don't show brand new just realeased movies and it is quite simply economics.

Blockbuster first run movies average 7-10 thousand US per month to rent and the price goes down significantly as time goes on. Obvioiusly San Pedro is way to small, so we have to show second run films.

We are trying to open Screen 2 (110 Seats) at the theater so we can have more variety and options with the times but
I need the community's support if we are to continue.

Please don't make this a "Jeff" thing, as he is no longer really involved.

Please use this blog to offer comments critisisms and requests,
I will try and accomdate as best I can.

See you 'round town

Captian Hollywood

Thanks for clarifying some points of interest.

I might let my teen go out to the 9:30 movie - it just runs a little late since the grumpy parents have to wait up for her to come home. I need the geritol!

Bummer about Titanic. I would love to see that on a big screen.

Can't wait to watch Blue Man Group.

Wizard of Oz for Christmas?

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 297 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.