Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#41780 07/08/01 01:19 AM
L
OP Offline
L
Hi there

I may be living in San Pedro for a while from Australia. I enjoy gardening, but wanted to know if there was any restrictions on growing banana trees. Here in Australia bananas are part of the economy and susceptile to diseases, so we are limited in what we can grow. Is it the same over there? Are there Plumeria trees in the island?

Concerned gardener : )

#41781 07/08/01 01:12 PM
S
S
We were there last week and I don't think we saw any banana trees. We were surprised. Unless somehow we missed them. We DID see some plumerias, though.

#41782 07/08/01 03:51 PM
J
J
We were there three weeks ago. I seem to remember seeing bananas in the landscaping at Ramon's. You might check with one of the large properties to see where their plants come from. There may be restrictions depending on site of origination. I know there is a lot more concern right now because of foot and mouth.

#41783 07/10/01 09:30 AM
From Susan at Caribbean Villas:
Yes they can grow bananas
here and plumeria as well. We have both growing on the hotel grounds.

#41784 07/10/01 10:28 AM
I see banana trees at people's houses, hotels, etc. all over Belize.

Bananas of course are, with sugar cane and citrus, the three main agriculture products in Belize. There are large banana plantations in Stann Creek and Toledo districts. Phyffe's (I probably have that spelled wrong) is the major banana brand you see in U.S. supermarkets imported from Belize.

Just drive south along the Southern Highway and you'll see zillions of bananas!

There are a lot of regulations that pertain to commercial banana plantations, but I don't know of any that impact the "home" grower.

--Lan Sluder

Lan Sluder/Belize First
http://www.belizefirst.com
#41785 07/10/01 05:02 PM
What about Mangos? Can citrus, bananas, etc. grow untended or do they have to have water above and beyond the rain?

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles
#41786 07/10/01 05:33 PM
God, mangoes are everywhere in Belize. There are a zillion different kinds. In some places in season the roads are covered with fallen mangoes.

Avacadoes (alligator pears), all kinds of citrus fruits, plantains, papayas, pineapples, cashews ... and bananas, all grow more or less wild in Belize, as least on the mainland (as in most sub-tropical/tropical areas of the Americas.)

You can grow most temperate climate and sub-tropical vegetables in Belize, too, at least in the rainy season. Raised beds with a lot of mulch are a good way to go.

Depending on where you are in Belize, you may have to water a bit in the dry season.

--Lan Sluder
Belize First Magazine http://www.belizefirst.com/

Lan Sluder/Belize First
http://www.belizefirst.com
#41787 07/11/01 08:57 AM
L
OP Offline
L
Scubalady,

It is pretty mush the same with mangoes here in Australia. They require dryness when flowering else the fruit won't set. Bananas take as much water as they can get, and grow extremely rapidly. They are gross feeders and need lots of fertilizer. We are restricted to growing disease free varieties in the home garden and there aren't alot of those! Thanks for all the information, good to hear that Belize, in terms of climate, is no different to here.

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 270 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.