Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
[Linked Image]

The domestic dog has been created, with careful breeding, for thousands of years to be a loyal companion, a hard worker, a protector for our homes and a friend for our children. The domestic dog is completely dependent upon humans for its basic needs such as food, water and care. It is a relationship that has lasted for such a long time, that the dog is commonly known as 'man's best friend'. So, what sort of a friend ties you up, deprives you of water in the hot sun, deprives you of food even though you are starving and deprives you of care even though you are sick?

Fawn and Thumper were brought into SAGA by children. This often happens when adults are ashamed of the condition of the animals. Usually the SAGA team can clean up the animals, give some good advice and make sure that the pets go back to owners with a better understanding of their care. In this case, the dogs were in such an awful state of neglect, sickness and starvation that SAGA immediately seized the dogs.

Both dogs were severely malnourished, which means that they had not been fed enough - or even anything at all - for some time. They were extremely dehydrated, which means that no one had bothered to give them access to clean, fresh water. They had tick fever, which is easily preventable if the dog is taken to the vet when it starts to show signs of illness.

[Linked Image]

There is no good reason for Fawn and Thumper to have been allowed to get into the condition they were in. Not only that, but think about those poor children. What did they learn about responsibility by watching their family systematically neglect and starve two innocent animals that were completely dependent on them? What did the children learn about compassion?

Sadly, Fawn and Thumper were neglected and starved to death. They were so badly damaged that there was no hope for them and the SAGA team, who love animals dearly, were left with the terrible task of having to put these poor, sad dogs out of their misery and help them to a place where they can't be abused anymore.

Dog ownership is a responsibility. If dogs are cared for, they can enrich our lives. Studies show that dog owners are generally happier and healthier people. But if we neglect that responsibility and let down our side of the relationship, not only do we cause great suffering to the animals but we affect our community and those who have had to witness the abuse and those who have had to deal with the outcome. Please never forget that all dogs need nutritional food daily, free access to fresh water at all times and veterinary care when they are sick. If you can't provide this, you aren't ready for a dog.

If you know an animal that is being abused or neglected or if you have a pet that you know you can't care for, please call SAGA on 226 3266. They will do everything they can to help.

Such a sad story. We should all look to the children, who seem to have much greater understanding than their parents of how animals should and should not be treated. Thank you SAGA.

Former Belize expat traveling the USA & Mexico
http://travelingtwosome.weebly.com
Is there NO way to patrol the neighborhoods to seek and find such situations as this? This is beyond the pale of inhumane.

Kudos to those children who brought these dogs to SAGA!!!

So sad that the dogs could not be saved.

SAGA does such great things for the animal community of San Pedro. I proudly wear my SAGA t-shirt here at home every chance I get.

A hug is the shortest distance between friends. ~ Author Unknown
I was so moved by this story I just now went to the SAGA website and made a donation. I challenge you all to do the same.

T
t42 Offline
T
How sad I must say I am saddened that they had to be put down. In Belize City I picked up a dog off the street that was too weak to even walk, I found her sprawled in the middle of a road and she is fat, sweet and happy six months later. I assume they were too weak to be treated for the tick fever because they did look to me that they could have made it. PLEASE understand I am not making any judgement on anyone's decision to have them put down I have just revived many here that looked in worse shape than them and it's amazing how quickly they can come around.
Those kids deserve a big pat on the back.

Those are stunningly upsetting images - how he hell can any human tie up an animal and do that. It's beyond imagining.

Yes this was a very sad story for Saga Humane Society. It is never our wish to have to euthanize an animal, but sometimes we must. We have many success stories of animals that have been nursed back from the brink, and these we look fondly upon.

Saga Humane Society does act as the Dog Catcher for Ambergris Caye. We receive no government funding - we are entirely privately-funded and run by volunteers. We take complaints of the community about animals and make weekly round ups of stray animals. This is all done in our spare time, after we leave our full time jobs.

Currently Saga's animals shelter is at capacity. We are caring for over 60 animals and adoptions are down. If you are considering adopting an animal, now is a great time.

Through tax-deductible donations, the Saga Humane Society is able to save the lives of orphaned or abandoned companion animals, provide humane education and serve as a community resource for pets. Please visit our website for more information.

www.sagahumanesociety.org

Thank you for your support.

Coleen Creeden
Saga Humane Society
Communications

Coleen

Beach bum, butterfly stalker, native plant enthusiast.
F
F
What a sad story, bless their dear little hearts and all of the other animals that are neglected and not properly cared for. I do hope a lesson of responsibility was learned. I would also like to add that it's not only Belizean families that need to be responsible pet owners. There are many Americans that come to this Island, stay for a period of time, then decide to leave. They leave their pet behind with someone they think they can trust. My husband and I just rescued a dog that was left on the island by it's owner. This dog was left with a person they thought they could trust. Unfortunately, this dog was neglected, mistreated, and starved for both food and attention. He ended up with a host of complications from not being cared for properly. He is now in our home and is getting food, unconditional love, medication, and proper care. Owning a pet is a RESPONSIBILITY. These creatures can bring smiles, warmth, laughter, fun, and excitment. They enrich our lives and show us what it means to love and to be loved. I commend SAGA for all of the hard work they do. It's a tough job having to put down animal, yet sometimes necessary. May we all continue to be educated on the over population of animals, the importance of spaying and neutering, and the care and well being of having a healthy pet. Thank you SAGA.

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 250 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.