Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
Press Release - American Crocodile Education Sanctuary - October 4, 2011 - The American Crocodile Education Sanctuary (ACES) and the Belize Vivarium are pleased to announce donations from The Summerlee Foundation to construct Morelet's freshwater crocodile habitats at the new 'ACES Educational Crocodile Eco-Sanctuary' at Caribbean Shrimp Farm Ltd. in Ladyville and 'The Belize Vivarium' in Belmopan. Approved by the Belize Forest Department, the ACES 10,000 sq. ft. natural wetland containment area will allow for the rescue of about half of the Morelet's crocs currently in need of relocation in Belize. The new ACES containment habitat will house approximately 15 crocs depending on their size, health condition, and demeanor. In addition, a holding pen or two will also be constructed for crocs needing quarantined or special care. The Vivarium's facility will be similar.

ACES contacted the Summerlee Foundation back in July 2011 and described the need for a freshwater crocs' rescue facility for some crocs in current need. Before the arson in September 2010 ACES could have rescued any Morelet's in need immediately; however, the new facility in Ladyville is just getting started and thus far can only rescue saltwater tolerant American crocodiles. Mrs. Melanie Lambert, the Program Director for the Summerlee Foundation based out of the USA immediately responded and everyone began working together to make the new facilities a reality in order to rescue the freshwater crocodiles in need. "It's so nice to work with people who put the animals' best interests first rather than their own egos," stated Melanie. Thanks to the generosity of the Summer Foundation several crocodiles that would have been euthanized now have the chance to survive. People will be able to visit the rescued crocs for educational tours to learn about crocodiles and their important role in keeping Belize's wetland habitats healthy and in balance.

Created in 1988 by Dallas philanthropist Annie Lee Roberts, the Summerlee Foundation is a private, non-profit charitable foundation whose purposes are restricted to programs in animal protection and Texas history. Annie Lee Roberts championed causes all her life that helped with the alleviation of fear, pain and suffering among animals and was recognized throughout the nation for her dedication and support of a variety of animal protection needs including shelters, wildlife sanctuaries and emergency care.

"We are very excited to be partnering with so many fantastic organizations that really care about animals in need, including crocodiles. Most funders prefer cute and cuddly, like bears or felines, giving priority to "sexy" over "scaly" reptiles," stated Cherie Chenot-Rose, Director and Biologist for ACES. "As a result of this effort, ACES is currently under review to be accredited by the Global Federation of Animal Sanctuaries, the first in Belize to do so."

ACES would like to thank all of those who played a major role in accomplishing this: Rasheda Garcia and Jazmin Ramos, Wildlife Officers of the Belize Forest Department, Melanie A. Lambert, Program Director, Animals, of The SummerLee Foundation; Robin Mason, Accreditation Manager, Global Federation of Animal Sanctuaries; Sherry Chaney, Administrative Mgr., Animal Care Ctrs. and Veterinary Services of the Humane Society of the United States; Penny Fioravante, Chief Executive Officer of the Belize Economic & Ecological Development Fund; the entire Belize Wildlife Conservation Network; Tony Garel of The Belize Vivarium; and especially, Dr. Med. Vet. I. Paquet-Durand, Wildlife Veterinarian and Professor of the Cayo District of Belize. For more information please visit www.americancrocodilesanctuary.org to view Partnering Organizations and see how you can help take a bite out of extinction!

Why would a Morelets need to be euthanized? Maybe its just the way the article is written.

Crocs kept illegally are often also kept inhumanely. If the animal is not treated and properly cared for, then euthanization is the only answer. You cannot re-release Morelet's crocs over 6 feet that have been fed by humans. They learn to associate man as a food source and lose their fear of humans. This becomes a very dangerous apex predator capable of reaching 12 feet in length. Without a place to properly care for ill, injured and problematic crocodiles the only option is euthanization.

Cherie Chenot-Rose
ACES/American Crocodile Education Sanctuary
Help Take a Bite Out of Extinction!
Thanks Cheri, I'm emabrassed to say it but I goofed on my mental ID of a Morelets, I got it in my mind it was small like a female spectacled caiman for some reason; I was going like: "Why in hell one would need to euthanize a 4 foot reptile?"

I understand the concept of conditioning wildlife very well; professionally in fact, and I've had to conduct a few euthanizations. Someday we'll meet and I'm sure we'll trade a few stories. Although I have a very different perspective on conditioned animals than most people.

Thanks for the clarification

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

Crocodile Dundees get a grant to save crocs

The American Crocodile Education Sanctuary in Toledo was burned to the ground in September 2010, by an angry mob of Mayan Villagers, who were convinced by a psychic that the crocs had eaten missing siblings, Benjamin and Onelia Rash. After losing everything, the owners, Vincent and Cherie Rose, relocated to San Pedro and have been trying to get the sanctuary back on its feet. Tonight there is good news for crocodile conservation in Belize because ACES and the Belize Vivarium in Belmopan have each received grants of eight thousand U.S. dollars from the Summerlee Foundation in the United States. According to Cherie Rose, the funds will allow for the rescue of at least thirty freshwater crocodiles and construction of the habitat will begin next week at their new site in Ladyville.

Via Phone: Cherie Rose, Owner/Operator, ACES

Cherie Rose

"The Summerlee Foundation from the United States has actually funded ACES and also the Vivarium, the Belize Vivarium in Belmopan, which is owned and operated by a local Belizean, Tony Garel. We're both crocodilian rescue facilities that take ill, injured or problematic crocodiles. There are currently approximately thirty Morelet's freshwater crocodiles in need in Belize as we were notified by the Belize Forest Department. And so both our facilities wrote to the Summerlee Foundation and they granted us both a grant and split the funds between two of us. So ACES will be at the Caribbean Shrimp Farm in Ladyville. We'll be, starting this Monday, building and creating a natural Morelet's habitat that will be contained and secured with perimeter fencing that can rescue about half of the crocs in need and then Tony Garel will be doing the same at his facility and he will be taking half the crocs in need. So at our facility people will be able to come and view the crocodiles. We already have three salt water crocodiles there so now we'll have approximately fifteen more and it will be totally educational where people will come and learn about the crocodiles and how to safely co-exist with them and about crocodile conservation in Belize."

Delahnie Bain

"And this is all a part of ACES getting back on its feet after last year's incident?"

Via Phone: Cherie Rose

"Yes ma'am, we're still at a loss of everything and have not been compensated for everything. We were helped by the people on the island with a donation of clothing and things like that. As far as ACES itself, we're located at Caribbean Shrimp Farm, they are just leasing us the area so we can have the crocs there. So we don't own anything but part of your entrance fee does go to ACES to help crocodile conservation in Belize countrywide."

Rose says the site at the Caribbean Shrimp Farm will be a complete attraction with tours of the shrimp farm and crocodile habitats, a hiking trail to a nearby Maya ruin and a restaurant with bird watching facilities. It is currently opened for business by reservation only, but is expected to be fully operational by the end of the year. But Rose emphasizes that they still need donations of construction materials.

Channel 5

Cool Bear! Those Caiman are mean little crocodilians. I would like to contact you personally. My email is [email protected]
Cherie

Cherie Chenot-Rose
ACES/American Crocodile Education Sanctuary
Help Take a Bite Out of Extinction!

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 313 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.