Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#418109 10/07/11 06:01 PM
OP Offline
No kidding - remember that bowling-ball (or bigger) sized fruit that was hanging on the Pandanus plant (screwpine) in my back yard? Well - boom, it is throwing off "things" all day and it is GORGEOUS.
Photos tomorrow. Maybe we'll call it the rasta-fruit given it's intense red-gold-green coloration.
This fruit is clearly ripe and smells heavenly but is very fibrous and I can't figure out how the heck you can eat it.

G
G
Cool! waiting for pics.... cool

OP Offline
I'm about to download the photos and will then send to Marty to post - I haven't yet learned how to post pics to the board.
:-)

[Linked Image]
Pods that have been ejected from the mother fruit.

[Linked Image]
Mother fruit with some of pods ejected - central area is where pods were attached prior to ejection.
This photo is not color-enhanced--- these fruit are amazing......

[Linked Image]
Previous photo cropped to center

[Linked Image]
This is a whole fruit getting ready for the explosion. This one is about the size of a medium watermelon, and must weigh 15 pounds.

[Linked Image]
Holding two pods - a little less brilliant in color a day after ripening and falling to the ground.

//ambergriscaye.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/413392/ is an older thread on this amazing plant

this was in an email Diane sent me and i think it is cool to read for all

It's very fibrous like sugar cane, so I don't know what you can do with them ....

Smells heavenly - like a cross between a subtle flower, a banana and a pineapple.

Have tasted the juice and it's a bit like soursap. Maybe you crush and mash and extract the juice?

Have also read that there are seeds in them that are used as seasoning in Sri Lanka.

I suggested start with squishing them. get that juice!!!! strain the seeds, dry them and grind them and put em in some rice or spuds or something!

i'd just cut em up also, serve in lil squares like i do watermelon

when i read "smells heavenly" i swear i nearly drooled

Video of Pandanus fruit preparation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLm4ZCKMTWQ

How to make a delicious puree with the pandanus fruit. You can then use that puree to make delicious desserts (2 examples are showed) or in other food recipe! Filmed in the Marshall Islands in 2011.

Dennis
Diane
Can I get some seeds from you? I love your pictures. How big is the tree? How old was the tree when it first yielded fruit?
Do the birds eat the fruit?

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles
JZB Offline
Wow. I've never seen anything like it before. What kind of plant does it come from?

OP Offline
Hi Harriette - you sure can have some - there are so many! Can you send somebody up to our place to get a bag of them?

JZB - the plant is a "Screw-Pine" or a variation of the very scary sawgrass plants that make such fierce natural fences. Ours is a variety without the barbs on the leaves. I planted them as little sprouts the year after Keith. They were babies from other plants like them I had over the years. They grew like crazy and are now about 25 - maybe 30 feet tall. This is the first time we saw any fruit. The globes started to appear in January and I thought they were little flowers ..... but they just kept growing and growing and growing ....this is the first yield, and not all of the stalks of the plant(s) have them.

The birds have not shown any interest in them yet.

The yard smells lovely!

JZB - I will take a photo of the whole plant and you'll probably recognize it. There are a lot of them at Maruba and along the Western Highway too.

Will watch the video on preparation and see what it suggests.

OP Offline
ALRIGHT - FANTASTIC - thanks for the video - am about to boil some up and see what I can do!
Jeff at Rojo is going to be a beneficiary too - my guess is that he has some great ideas - I sense pandanus ice cream in our future.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 297 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.