Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
#41873 07/12/01 02:56 PM
K
K
I recently had a group in Belize who had the same problem at Ramon's- a buffet which they didn't think was very good and shocked (and quite angry)when the bill came in US dollars- $25 US per person. They said the menu did not say that the prices were in US. I agree that the menu should be clear on whether it is US or BZ dollars.

Karen Pasquariello
#41874 07/12/01 04:45 PM
C
C
Hi Jill,
I appreciate the warning. I will be staying at Ramons in August and will only partake in my included breakfast while I am there. Sounds like there are many other worthwhile places to eat. Thanks for saving me the trouble of finding out for myself

#41875 07/12/01 05:03 PM
Not to [#%!] everyone off but I have stayed at Ramon's a few times and the menu plainly states U.S. dollars and the blackboard that displays the specials always says U.S. dollars.

There is only one cure for baldness. It was invented by a Frenchman. It is called the guillotine.
#41876 07/12/01 05:49 PM
J
J
I spoke with some of the Ramon's folks last night and they confirmed that the prices are listed on the menu and both boards (one outside the restaurant door and one in the bar) as US$. They were quite philosophical in that wonderful AC way about the complaint -- there's always someone who's unhappy about something!

Don't give up on lunch there, though. The club sandwich is delicious -- not the typical US version, but ham, grilled chicken breast, lettuce, tomato, and a FRIED EGG! Yummy! And if you're there on a Tuesday night, the BBQ pork chops are great.

If in doubt about a selection, ask your waiter or George, the head waiter. He was right on every recommendation!

#41877 07/15/01 08:46 PM
C
cjd Offline
C
I agree about sticking to the breakfast there. The Mayan Eggs rule!

#41878 07/16/01 08:55 PM
B
B
we went to Ramon's two times for lunch and both times noticed that the menu stated prices in US dollars. Nevertheless, both times we were sorely disappointed with the food and the service. In all fairness, this was during the time when there were electric outages due to the hurricane last fall (we were there in the winter). However, no word from the kitchen about their problems, and a loooooooooong wait for service. Their place is beautiful, but we will eat lunch at Woody's again next year instead!!!!!!

#41879 07/17/01 12:32 AM
E
E
Ramons always knowingly does that.
They are out for the "what the market will bare" kind of business. They survive on first timers who don't realize they could get great service, food and lodging elsewhere for less.
In their defence, it is a buyer beware country. My wife and I were also stunner at the $25 US per person price for the buffet. Ramons is a nice place, but $25 US is more money than most Belizeans get paid in an entire day of work.

Tourism is the cash crop of the island, so you have to expect a few bad apples.

#41880 07/17/01 11:47 AM
J
JillB Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Just to restate-- there was not a menu the night we ate at Ramons, I guess because all they were offering was the buffet-- we take 50% of the blame for not asking, but I think this is a valid topic for the board as I believe it's good to know going in what to expect.

I'm curious, do most people staying at Ramon's buy a meal package?? Is it an all inclusive type resort? If so, how much does the daily meal package cost?

#41881 07/17/01 04:12 PM
J
J
Jill,
My Two-cents worth------One of the things we enjoyed about AC was the opportunity to eat at a different place each nite---The choices
were great ...If fancy is somes choice , then they will miss-out on some GREAT food,Take Papi's for instance,by far the best meal we had.... Close was Jerry's Crabshack, not fancy ,not good service, just wonderful food at great prices...But again different strokes for different folks!!!!!

JLS
#41882 07/17/01 05:47 PM
E
E
Jill,

You're right to talk about the experience.

There are so many other places to eat on the island that you could visit a different place for every meal and skip ramons all together!

Here's an old article I wrote about my trip in 1999... http://www.hackrabbit.com/belize.html

Don't let one bad experience let you down!

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 307 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.