Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
M
M
"Right" is the key word. We need a bridge that will safely carry a large load and a road that has drainage and is passable in all weather. The present bridge worked well for golf carts only and I am sure it is better to put in an all weather road than grading a nonexistent one with uncertain effects and questionable outcome. Without engineering of some sort it is not likely to achieve the results desired.

W
W
Originally Posted by Diane Campbell
A wise person once said - "If it's not broken, don't fix it."

I for one am happy to have electricity and in fact paid for 1/2 mile of poles and lines to get it many years ago - no reimbursement from anybody, thanks very much. The lights are a whole different topic and it's not about being stick in the muds.

We also fought the bridge and the road, but the time has come for both of them for many reasons. We DO need to do it right though...

I think the factor that's not being considered during many of these discussions is that regardless of what utilities this board deems necessary (or, more often, unnecessary), the island is changing and growing. And regardless of how much we resist that growth, more and more people are going to move here, more and more construction will start both north and south of town, and the existing infrastructure simply can't support that inevitable growth.

I'm not saying that we should take out an ad in Islands Magazine and encourage more people to move here, but I do think we all need to accept the fact that the island is going to continue growing regardless, and we'll all be better served by building with that change in mind.

Does that mean building better roads? Yes. Does it mean building a better bridge? Quite possibly. Will the patrons of this forums be opposed to it? Absolutely. But that doesn't mean it wouldn't benefit them.

E
E
I wish I had said that.

A
A
Has anyone mentioned the barge companies that have big trucks running on our northern roads? Some suggest the resorts coming together and fixing the roads which have been done more than once just to have the big trucks destroy them again. Maybe the town board should have a look at that instead of the ATVs and golf carts that I don't see causing any damage. I'm sure many who travel the roads regularly bump into these trucks and the drivers just laugh while the wheels go into overdrive in the potholes that now look like cinotes

Last edited by Alter Ego.; 10/16/11 10:31 PM.
Originally Posted by Alter Ego.
Has anyone mentioned the barge companies that have big trucks running on our northern roads? Some suggest the resorts coming together and fixing the roads which have been done more than once just to have the big trucks destroy them again. Maybe the town board should have a look at that instead of the ATVs and golf carts that I don't see causing any damage. I'm sure many who travel the roads regularly bump into these trucks and the drivers just laugh while the wheels go into overdrive in the potholes that now look like cinotes

It is the resorts and large construction on the North Island that have the Big Trucks running on "your" roads. It will be ok soon, when the paved road cuts through a lot of the resorts and runs all the way to Mexico.....LOL laugh

If you outlaw guns, only outlaws will have guns.
A bullet fired,cannot be called back.
A.C.G.C.
OP Offline
Anyone who drives the North road knows it's not safe nor comfortable. I don't have to explain that.

Proper North American standard roads are going to require engineers, surveys, lawyers, Town Council & Environmental aproval and one heck of a lot of money.

It's just not in the cards right now.

We have a road, a pathway. It's not going to go away.
The toothpaste is out of the tube as they say.
Will it be a proper road one day?
Better roads & lighting increase property value, and are safer, so it's inevitable.

I have access to a grader, and some heavy equipment.
I am not talking about engineering new roads, or bridges. There is a whole process for that.

I am talking about smoothing out the pathways and eliminating the potholes and making it as safe as reasonably possible and comforatable within a certain budget and limitations.

Before something tragic happens, lets all pitch in and fix the problems. I need everyone's co-operation and help with a budget.

I will have a preliminary security & safety report by early November prepared at PLS's expense.

We need a safe road. For reasons you may not have even thought of.

You don't want to be at the side of the road one night, screaming
"WHERE THE HELL IS THE FIRE TRUCK????"

S
S
Here Here!

Wendell - etal

Let's look at things like lighting the road in a reasonable fashion. Just as ACCSD is NOT against development we are just for SUSTAINABLE DEVLOPMENT. That would mean things like 'first things first, etc."

Of course we are going to have improvements, but let's get our ducks in a row. Before street lights we need a street, before a street we need drainage, before drainage we need a sewer system, before we can build a sewer system we need a bridge that can handle the heavy equipment.

Before any of this can happen we need a government that will stand up to their responsibilities and do things like collect unpaid taxes, stop under the table deals and land give-a-ways.

We can all want a better way of life. What ever happened to the MASTER PLAN that has been paid for how many times?

Just because we ask questions and challenge proposals does not mean we are bad people. We can all get on the same page if we work together.

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles
Sounds like somebody is working hard to try to earn some money. Who are you? What is your company?

OP Offline
Originally Posted by carrottop642
Sounds like somebody is working hard to try to earn some money. Who are you? What is your company?

I am Captain Hollywood, those who read this board reguarly, know who I am.
I am a Canadian from Toronto Canada, also known as Hollywood North.
Currently, we provide management and consultation for Paradise Theater and Paradise Location Support.

PLS is a company which acts as logistical support, risk assesment and Security management, for visiting Film and Television crews. It is my job to safely and securely get all thier gear and equipment to, and prepare a location shoot.
We are sort of like the Secret Service crew that sets everything up before the President arrives.
I have worked doing this in such places as Jamiaca and Colombia.

I have lived in Belize for 6 years and I am a permanant resident.
I operated one of the largest and safest nightclubs in Belize City for the past five years near one of the roughest gangs turf in the city.

I have seen and experienced the dark side of paradise and have had a gun shoved in my face on more than one occasion. If you think it can't happen here, or to you, you are in a serious state of denial. What you don't know is, every long weekend I see more and more known gangbangers, thieves and drug dealers from the city, coming to the Island to ply thier trade.

I, unlike you, are not someone that signed onto the board yesterday, who probably drifts in and out of here for one or two weeks every year, and my one and only post is questioning someone else's integrity.

I live here full time. This is my home, and I care about it.

I DO NOT want to be the guy at the back of the room saying "I TOLD YOU SO"

Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 327 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.