Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#421325 11/08/11 01:28 PM
B
BZNY Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Hello all,
I have been down to AC a few times, but have not been able to get down there in the past 3 years or so. I was wondering if someone can provide an update on a few things:

1. Are there any homes built in the Ambergis Bay subdivision? I know that a few Canadians were about to build there in the past.
2 Has there been any progress on the west side developments such as Mayan Islands?
3. What is up with South Beach Belize? When I was there last, it appeared, in my opinion, that they scarred the land terribly. Did they ever build anything?
4. Can you really take a bike or golf cart from San Pedro thru GBE and to the Ambergris Bay subdivision?

I bought a plot on the west side as a long term investment a few years back. I have not been able to get down there recently. I thank anyone in advance for their updates.

BZNY #421331 11/08/11 02:22 PM
Yes there are a few houses in Ambergris Bay (I am not sure if they are completed and inhabited but I did see some under construction a few months ago.)

Mayan Islands is still progressing - slowly but surely.

South Beach has a few houses built - but not currently inhabited.

Yes you can drive along the road via GBE to Ambergris Bay.

The real estate investment climate in Belize is on par with other areas of the world. Developments are limping along, there aren't any huge injections of money going into development at this time. Sales are slow but certainly occurring. There are some bargains to be made but for the most part the lands costs seem to have stabilized and are holding steady now.

I hope you get a chance to come down and visit some time soon.

BZNY #421335 11/08/11 03:57 PM
P
P
And I hope you find your plot hasn't been requisitioned by someone else, as has happened in a few cases.

BZNY #421340 11/08/11 04:12 PM
S
S
Where is Ambergris Bay? Is that the area to the west of GBE???

If so, there's only one house on the beach there, just to the north of the GBE dock/palapa... couple of new piers seem to have gone up. 'was just back there yesterday going to the prop we have up north on the island.

West side of the island is fantastic if you enjoy that which is has to offer (fantastic fishing, little boat traffic, great sunsets, lot's of wild life.) If you're hoping for a golf course anytime soon or view across the water of a 4 Season's resort, it may disappoint.

BZNY: Road west to GBE was in great shape about 6-8 mo's ago... have not driven it lately so I don't know how it's held up w/ the rains. There is little to no traffic on it causing wear/tear, but still, it's something that someone is going to have to maintain.

SFJeff #421413 11/09/11 09:29 AM
B
B
Seems like the wild life often includes something that really freaks me out...sea lice. Is that everywhere on the west side or just the areas that I've been too. Those little crabbies are creepy.

BZNY #421421 11/09/11 10:12 AM
The are in the sand on the west coast. But if you don't stir up the sand and mud they don't come out.

The pica pica on the east coast is horrible -but thankfully it is seasonal.

BZNY #421425 11/09/11 10:39 AM

I have heard that before , just last year .So it is true. .So if you buy beach front on the west side and walk out to snorkel or swim As it is so shallow You get bitten by sea lice ...
That sounds icky and gross .
When I was looking in 2004 at west side beach front .no Realtor told me that .I bought reef side .
Thanks for sharing .

Last edited by captjeff; 11/09/11 10:40 AM.

Living The Dream Every Day!
BZNY #421440 11/09/11 12:59 PM
Last year two guys who stayed at the place behind me put together a couple of rafts so they would fly fish the lagoon. One day a guy told them no need to raft, just wade out. One guy did and came back totally bummed out as he had leaches up to his knees. He was glad he didn't wade out further. oooooooh

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles
BZNY #421445 11/09/11 01:14 PM
OK you guys started it ...Bloodworms! the worst/creepiest night diving worry for me http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glycera_(genus)
I like to wear a hood to keep them out of my ears.I was relieved to see the corals eat them but not eat them fast enough to make me very comfortable.

White Sands Dive Shop
https://whitesandsdiveshop.com/
elbert #421455 11/09/11 02:04 PM
T
T
The West Coast has beautiful beaches,fishing snorkeling and fun.Those micro organisms are out West, but; have never interfered with any fun we have had.We spend most of our leisure boat time out West,the beaches are beautiful.
I am not sure if they are seasonal or not.They are so small and most wouldn't notice until you told them.
If they happen to be there; we go swimming anyway,it is not what most are thinking.To me its like a sand-fly in comparison.After everyone is in the water or when we reach home,I tell them about the micro organism.
It does not compare to the hurt of Pica Pica and jelly fish that ARE out on popular East Side.
I always thought "sea lice" or "roaches" were a way to manipulate a buyer to buy higher priced Real Estate on the East.
The Lagoon is much different ALL TOGETHER ,the water is somewhat stagnant and there are all types of wild life including many species of micro-organisms. The West is undervalued beachfront,provided you know the lay of the land.
I have been going out West for many years and have never had a problem or anyone in our group.We have photo albums of us and many others swimming,spearfishing,and shell finding expeditions.
I asked a full-time owner that lives out there years ago if he knew of a season and he pretty much said he has gone 6 months and not seen one and then he may see one the next day.He said it never bothered him or a guest of his.
Now if you tell a hypochondriac that prior,you may be in for a interesting day.
When the rich and famous come here and stay at Cayo Espanto (private island)Tiger Woods,DiCaprio, and countless others use that same Beach.Must have been so bad he bought the island adjacent to where we are talking about.
Before you knock an experience you should try it.Jeff glad you made it out alive,lol
That has been undervalued property for years.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 251 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.