Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#42139 07/22/01 04:06 AM
G
GVesel Offline OP
OP Offline
G
sailing the caribbean this summer, can we get in to San Pedro, 46ft boat drafting just over 5 ft. and is Belize Yacht Club my only choice for mooring. any tips an tricks would be appreciated. Thanks
you can E-mail me at [email protected]

I'm not a boater, but what folks with experiene in Belize waters tell me is that you can do it, but that you'll have to be careful. There are a considerable number of places in northern Belize where a 5 foot+ draft is going to be a problem, and you do not want to spend a lot of time dragginga limestone bottom.

Farther south, the water is generally deeper.

You can probably get some expert advice on this board or on the belize.net forums (Hugh Parkey there is a divemaster who knows Belize waters well.) You certainly need local advice and the best charts you can find.

--Lan Sluder
Belize First Magazine http://www.belizefirst.com/

Lan Sluder/Belize First
http://www.belizefirst.com
The absolute safest thing to do would be to contact TMM (or one of the other SP yacht charters) and arrange for them to send a local captain out to the cut, and have him at least stand by the helm. There are few good charts for the area, and there are some places that are VERY shallow.

Having a captain come aboard may not do much for the pride, but it can sure save on the boat. The swells and currents around the cuts can be very tricky also, and you sure don't want to tangle with the reef for thousands of good reasons.

K
K
I am not a boater either, however, when we were looking for a house to rent, I recall a place called Casa Manana, among other amenities, it boasted a long pier able to dock large boats.

It's located on the south side

--hope that helps

Yep Casa Manana is a nice place to dock. A little far from town though. If you have a good tender, that's no prob. When ya going? I'm a good mate if you need one. I planned to head home to AC in Late Aug, or early Sept.
Look for Jim & Sharon Patterson. They own Casa Manana. Good Luck

PS. Find out what I'm up to at www.broadjam.com/barefootskinny

Your's not in the Caye of "A"

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 327 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.