SFJeff #421486 11/09/11 04:41 PM
T
T
sea lice
I guess they are almost everywhere to some degree or time of season

Tim Callanan #421503 11/09/11 07:54 PM
A
A
It is interesting to see that ONLY the REAL ESTATE brokers try to sell the west side of the island, as opposed to the east side. If the west side is so great why are the properties so much less money?...........
Well, maybe because there is almost always a breeze on the east side, it is not as warm, there is an open view to the Caribbean Sea, and there are no sea lice, which attach to your body (in mass) like magnets, and it feels awful to pull them off.
Whoever you are, before you buy, talk to MANY, MANY people before you make a decision..........

AC Lover #421512 11/09/11 11:50 PM
T
T
"why are the properties so much less money?."
One reason infrastructure.
AC I am talking about the wildlife and topography,chill man.The thread subject is West Coast.

BZNY #421514 11/10/11 01:20 AM
S
S
Why are the properties up at say, Palm Bay Club, so much less $? I mean they're on the EAST side, there is almost always a breeze and there is an open view to the Caribbean Sea, yet they are 1/2-1/3 the price of comparable beachfront say just north of San Pedro.

Infrastructure for sure has a large part to do with it, along with accessibility, ease of development, etc. It does not mean that the properties on the west side or way up north or such are value-less, less picturesque or less of a appropriate purchase for someone with the appropriate criteria.

BZNY #421545 11/10/11 09:02 AM
B
BZNY Offline OP
OP Offline
B
I appreciate everyone's comments. Thank you to all.

I had also heard about the sea lice on the west coast. I have been in the water in front of my property on numerous occasions and I have not seen or felt those creatures. Maybe they are seasonal.

There is no doubt that AC is a beautiful place. East, North and West (and South too...don't want to forget anyone..lol). We all have different reasons and budgets. I chose the West Coast (not lagoon) because it was a longterm purchase. I have travelled extensively around the world and I was looking for an area which I felt was undervalued. I think the West coast is undervalued, in a large part, due to lack of infrastructure. I bought with the outlook of at least 10 years and maybe even 20. I was in my late 30s when I bought. I was looking for a place for when I was in my 50s and beyond.

In my opinion, I think it will continue to develop and I look forward to building a small place that is respectful to the environment and local community.

Once again, thanks for your comments. Keep them coming if you like.

BZNY #421548 11/10/11 09:52 AM
I absolutely love the west coast. I owned some land there for a while but sold it as I needed the $$ for my house. But every time I go to the west coast to show property for sale I definitely wish I could live there.... maybe in retirement years. The sunsets are beautiful, the water is a lovely colour and crystal clear most of the year. The island is more or less flat so there is the same breeze there as you have on the east coast. There are more bugs because there is less clearing and development.

Honestly although I love the sea I don't jump in even once a month. I go out on boats, I think I may take up sailing. I snorkel from time to time at Hol Chan or Mexico Rocks and I haven't dived in 15 years.

So, if I lived on the west coast I don't think I would all of a sudden take up swimming in the sea - so the sea lice wouldn't be an issue for me.

Amanda Syme #421557 11/10/11 10:35 AM
B
BZNY Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Amanda,
Is the going rate, approximately, US$1000 per linear foot of beachfront on the west coast? I know prices vary according to type of property, height, depth, etc. What is the current price range for vacant land on west coast?

Could you also provide a rough comp with regards to an average lot on the east coast, both north and south? I am talking basic lots, not huge tracks of land.

Also, how would you factor in accessability (road), electric and cable?

I am just curious on the curent "going" rates.

Thanks again
Ken

BZNY #421595 11/10/11 03:38 PM
It's probably about $1,000 US per lineal beachfront foot for the Ambergris Bay lots.

BZNY #421690 11/11/11 01:56 PM
S
S
I own on the west coast - north of GBE and i went up that way on the road in March and that road made me feel like I might one day have something. (at least I can dream)
I went in the water (shallow - up to my knees) and did not get bit by anything - my husband went in also and no bites. And I have been bit by what ever in Mexico in Ascension Bay - and I felt that !

Any way the west coast is beautiful and hopefully one day I will retire there.

SeeShell

BZNY #421709 11/11/11 05:36 PM
G
G
The 'sea-lice' are most prominent in areas where the bottom is a mix of silt and sand, not solid sand. If you sink into the bottom for more that a few inches, you are in danger of becoming bug food!!!
Lagoon is worse that the bay, but the bay is not completely free of them.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 327 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.