Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
[Linked Image]

According to the last census figures, the San Mateo Subdivision has an estimated population of 569. The area sits within Belize's number-one tourism destination, San Pedro, Ambergris Caye, and yet it is one of the poorest and badly planned subdivisions in the entire country. The San Mateo area lacks proper water service, adequate road infrastructure and sufficient energy distribution. Built within mangrove swamps, the garbage laden landfill materials used to create islands of land and improper waste disposal poses a very serious health hazard. Environmentalists believe that because of the way people have been going about filling their land and disposing of their waste, the area may well be a "catastrophe in waiting."

With the population of the island rapidly growing, so are the demands for affordable house lots by local residents. For the hardworking class; obtaining any piece of property is a dream come true. It is not uncommon in Belize that during election time property lots are distributed to electorates and such was the case with the lots in the San Mateo area. For many less-fortunate residents, this gesture provided a good opportunity to build and live instead of paying high house rents. But, instead of serving a good purpose, this so-called opportunity has instead created what many refer to as a "nightmare" than can well cause San Pedro its tourism industry. Adding to that is the fact that many who hold public office have turned a blind eye on San Mateo. In fact you will be surprised to know that many residents in San Pedro, many in public office and even policy makers have never even been to and don't even know the truth about San Mateo.

Click here for the rest of the story and more pictures in the San Pedro Sun

Congratulations to the SP Sun for tackling the tough stuff.
I do know that Severo is trying his best to find clean fill for San Mateo - but the area needs so much.

I guess the Mayor won't do anything until the population there reaches 1,500 registered voters.

C
C
Many tourists might be surprised to learn some of the waiters and waitresses who work at their resort live in San Mateo.

T
T
The 150K Headricks is giving for a clock would go a long way to helping this situation. Perhaps someone could suggest that.

Originally Posted by TravelinMan1
The 150K Headricks is giving for a clock would go a long way to helping this situation. Perhaps someone could suggest that.

Josh that is a good suggestion - perhaps you can write to him online. OR SPBA can suggest it to Einer or Ramon?

Originally Posted by Capt. Hollywood
I guess the Mayor won't do anything until the population there reaches 1,500 registered voters.

laugh Good one Capt Hollywood

S
S
The politician that created this mess should take responsibility and fix it!

Originally Posted by SP Daily
The politician that created this mess should take responsibility and fix it!

This politician is no longer in office.

Although a friend and business owner in SP had described it to me, I had no idea it was as bad as it is. Because its not on Front, Middle or Back Streets, its out of sight and mostly out of mind to many and most. This is a project worthy of some serious volunteer effort.

I'll be honest I think even a World Health Organization inspector would be queasy over some of the conditions in this little community. The water quality issues alone are indeed nightmarish; the precursor condiditons for some serious diseases such as cholera and typhoid exist.

Having said that I would comment that the people there are amazing. Look at the picture, what is the child doing? Is he in filthy clothes and "just hangin"? No, He's neatly dressed, and headed to school. The Belizean people are amazing and those in this community deserve the attention necessary to make this area a fit community.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 284 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.