Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
P
PROBUS Offline OP
OP Offline
P
The Fire Service were unable to get to the beach to tackle the burning dive boat yesterday. A boat with a water cannon could easily have got there. As San Pedro's life is so sea-based, should this deficiency be remedied? And what would it cost?

Think not As boat fires are not to common here .
And to spend money when money is needed for new gear and equipment does not make good fire fighting business sense .A good thought for sure ..
In this case the juice is not worth the squeeze JMHO.

Living The Dream Every Day!
JZB Offline
Wouldn't a small generator with water pump and hose on any boat work? I have no idea, just asking....

Water pumps don't necessarily need generators. You can get water pumps that are mechanical and can shoot water so the answer is YES.

All those places that built to close to their lot lines or absorbed the public easements etc should be taking note of this problem. It might be nice to have an extra 3 ft - 15 ft of space to build on - contrary to the building codes - but then the fire truck can't gain access to assist in fighting fires.....

JZB Offline
That sounds like a far more economical solution than San Pedro purchasing a dedicated fire fighting boat.

S
S
We have a self contained gasoline powered water pump (actually called a trash pump) which has very strong pressure.

A friend of mine has one for his house in Placencia as it's on the other side a canal and the fire department wouldn't be able to get over there. They were able to use the pump to put out a brush fire last year.

I would think it would be smart for any home owner north of the cut to have one on their property just in case.

A fire boat is a waste of money compared to the cost of throwing a pump on any boat and heading to the fire.

What is the cost for such a pump SimonB?

i bought a 2" gas powered pump when i built my villa and i think it was 550bz

Excellent home-firefighting systems can be seen online at
<www.homefirefightingsystems.com>

They work - you can use water from the sea, a well, a pool or cistern --- the trick is to keep it in good working condition and buy plenty of hose.

A fire boat would be a great asset for San Pedro. I met with the Mayor about this once, as she asked my advice on the San Pedro FD and how to improve things a few years ago.
Where are most of the homes in San Pedro? Very close to the water. A jet boat could get into very shallow waters. It could carry a thousand+ feet of fire hose, which could be used to stretch to most buildings. It's an unlimited water supply. It doesn't have to cross the bridge and drive through traffic, meaning it could get up north or down south quickly. It could carry medical equipment and transport a patient. It could respond to water and land emergencies.
http://www.metalcraftmarine.com/html/fireboat.html
Fire boats come in all sizes. If someone donated a boat, it could be outfitted rather inexpensively with a pump and equipment.

The one problem in San Pedro is the fire flow capacity of the local FD. There is a front line pumper and a mini pumper. Together they don't put out over 2,000gpm of water. A fireboat that could pump an additional 1,500gpm would be a great tool.

If there is ever a downtown fire on a windy day...

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 304 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.