Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#422465 11/18/11 07:55 AM
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
He's billed as a self-made Canadian business success story. Bob Dhillon worked out of his car selling homes at the age of nineteen and by 22 had become a millionaire! In Belize he is said to own real estate on San Pedro, worth millions of dollars. But today, he was selling a book he co-authored: called "Business and Retirement Guide to Belize."

And the invited guests for this morning's official launch held at the Image Factory was a veritable who's-who of Belize's rich and famous!

7news was in the poor and famous section and here's what we found out:..

Jim McFadzean reporting
The book is an introduction to living, working and retiring in Belize, as well as owning property here. Dhillon introduces the reader to the country, its beauty and friendly people as well as to its economic attractions.

Bob Dhillon, author
"I've combine this with a retirement guide then what happens when you come here. What does a condo cost in San Pedro? What are the opportunities in businesses? A retirement guide is one or two chapters but there are also other chapters; what's the next step; what's the fourth stem. It's like every aspect of Belizean investment is in this book."

It was unlike most other book launches. This one was held in a somewhat casual setting with an informal and healthy exchange between author and audience.

Rosalie Staines, Trade & Investment Promotion
"How can Belize turn ourselves around, not talking about politics but as Belizean entrepreneurs, how can we do this in the view of the fact that the whole world is going through this economic crisis."

Bob Dhillon, author
"First of all some of the advantages Belize has - we have a small economy base on worldwide scenario, we have a population of 300,000 people. To move the GDP is not going to take a lot, so let's forget about the United States and let's have a narrow focus on Canada. Canadians are rich, they speak English, they are commonwealth and most of all we live in Siberia 9 months of the year."

A seasoned international traveller, Belize as seen through the author's lens, is the World's last virgin!

Bob Dhillon, author
"I travelled the world on a monthly basis because of my business and I come back to Belize and I say "this is the last virgin.""

And to prove Dhillon has first- hand experience of that wholesome virginity, he shares his own anecdotal travel experience with some good lighthearted humor.

Bob Dhillon, author
"I was fortunate enough to be guest of Mr. Mariott two days ago in Cayo, I sat down on his balcony watching the sunrise with no pollution and the toucans were flying in miles of rainforest and I say to this "where in the world you have this?" nowhere."

Retirement aside, the Canadian millionaire had this for those who aspire to make millions. Legitimately!

Yasser Musa
"What is your view in terms of the young Belizean student age 18,19 who is in a business program. What should they be learning about their own country in terms of how they develop this hunger that you had?"

Bob Dhillon, author
"I don't want to talk full credit for my hunger, one; I was in Canada, my roots are from India and how does an Indian immigrant come to Belize and become successful like Mr. Hotchandani, how does he do it? So maybe it's a genetic makeup (laughing) but I think one; as a society, as a government, let's talk about the business community, I think they need to mentor young business people, like everybody should mentor all these guys who want to be an entrepreneur. I think the government got to create a program. But the most important thing and Americans got it and Canada to a certain extend doesn't have it, as a Canadian I can tell you that is profit isn't a bad word, making a dollar is a good thing, it's not a bad thing, don't shone, that's going to create the prosperity."

The book is available in various outlets across Belize. All proceeds from the sale of the book will go to the Art Society of Belize. Dhillon co-authored the book along with Canadian television reporter, Fred Langan.

Channel 7

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

Reading List: Doing Business and Retiring in Belize

Earlier today a high profile group gathered for a press conference in Belize City. The guest list included Ralph Fonseca, former Prime Minister Said Musa, current Minister of Housing Michael Finnegan, the Novelo brothers David and Tony and prominent members of the business community including Bob Hotchandani. What pulled all newsmakers into a small room below the offices of Musa and Balderamos? Believe it or not it was a book launch at the Image Factory. The book is called Business and Retirement Guide to Belize. It is written by Bob Dhillon and Fred Langan. Bob Dhillon made his first million dollars when he was twenty one, owns a two thousand seven hundred acre island in Belize, and calls all those newsworthy individuals, friends.

Bob Dhillon, Author

"My relationship is with all Belizeans and they were given an invitation to come and they came from many spectrum of Belize. For example: Ken Gillett, the surveyor, business people, small businessmen in San Pedro. And that's what made me happy that school teachers, professors and so forth and many prominent members like mister Finnegan came."

Jose Sanchez

"Retirement Guide to Belize-retirement and business. Why Belize? We've been getting some bad press with regards to crime lately."

Bob Dhillon

Bob Dhillon

"Well it's a micro-challenge that we can deal with. I mean you have to compare apples with apples. Let's look at the crime rate with some of the other Caribbean countries without bashing Jamaica, Guatemala and Honduras, right? We're not comparing Belize to Beverly Hills. Let's see who we are comparing it too. Yes it is something that needs to be addressed; we can't put our heads in the sand; we got to go out there and address the crime issue and solve it."

Jose Sanchez

"And what is the main issue in regards to doing business in Belize and retiring here?"

Bob Dhillon

"The main message here is that it is a lifetime opportunity for the world to explore Belize and that's the purpose of this book to expose Belize to the world. It wasn't a money making venture, this is a blueprint to success. Belize itself and the world getting to know Belize. It is more of a reference book with a soul exposing it to the world."

Jose Sanchez

"When it comes to your own success, why should people want to know about Bob Dhillon's guide to Belize?"

Bob Dhillon

"To be honest, I don't have a big ego and I don't want people to know Bob Dhillon, but sometimes people want to read books from successful people. So if I can use what modest success I've had to promote this book, actually promoting Belize; I'm gonna use that as an advantage to promote Belize."

Jose Sanchez

"In addition to having it available locally, what other markets, other venues can this book be accessed?"

Bob Dhillon

"That's a good comment. Amazon.com, Chapters, all the book stores in Canada have it, all the libraries have it. This book has been taken over one of the biggest publishers in Canada so it is widely exposed to every city in Canada right now. And now the next step is United States, Europe and Asia and the rest of the world. Although I'm not born Belizean, but I love Belize. This is my gift to the country and I hope the world reads this book and get a glimpse of this paradise that it is."

The co-Author Fred Lagan worked for many years as a business reporter and television host for CBC Canada. The Business and Retirement Guide to Belize is printed and bound in Canada by Dundurn Publishers.

Channel 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 122 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,204
Posts500,029
Members20,468
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.