BelizeNews.com BelizeSearch.com BelizePhotographs.com Lodging

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#423935 12/02/11 09:06 AM
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
Dear Editor,

Living on Caye Caulker over the years and seeing how transportation in the form of golf cart being a popular mode of transport, I have seen the increase of golf carts and taxis on the island. Now, we find that being on the beach when relaxing is not such a safe past-time any longer due to the fact that my child almost got knocked-down by a taxi picking up passengers from the San Pedro Belize Express dock. I have seen countless times that those same taxis are driving under heavy speed along the beach and the way I see it, it's a tragedy waiting to happen.

I am not bringing this up to spite anyone but as a concerned community member and Hicaque�a, it is my duty to report things that can cause ill or harm to people. Another thing, the beach is already in a state of erosion and with those taxis driving back and forth on a daily basis is only worsening the conditions of the beach, in my opinion. I can remember being a child growing up on Caye Caulker and living on Front Street, the streets were very sandy and due to the situation with traffic on the island, everyone can see that this is not the case any longer; our sandy streets are now bare. Anyone living on Caye Caulker over the past 25 years can confirm this is so.

I fully understand the concept that yes, Caye Caulker is a growing tourism community but please, we need to have certain limits set in place. If the Traffic Department (Javier or Beatrice) can look into assisting the community with the taxi situation on the beach, this would need to be dealt with effective immediately before someone gets knocked- down. Please realize that we do not have a fully operable hospital on the island.

I thank you Dear Editor, Lizette to provide me this space to voice my opinion and I wish our Traffic Team can look into this taxi issue that is being addressed before a mishap happens.

Yours respectfully,

Concerned Hicaque�a

Caye Caulker Chronicles

Marty #423955 12/02/11 10:07 AM
One only needs to look to the north a few miles, to San Pedro town, to see the ills that can befall the island that embraces vehicles when the streets and indeed the drivers are inadequate.

My heart goes out to Caye Caulker as it begins to feel the downside of the convenience of vehicles. A convenience to some and a menace to the masses.

Be safe and teach your islands about road safety. Crack down hard on inconsiderate and dangerous drivers - now, before there are any serious accidents.

Wonderful post, Amanda. I couldn't agree more. Part of the reason we moved to Ambergris Caye was to get away from the horrible traffic in the US. The traffic here moves a lot slower, but it is much worse than we realized from vacationing here. I only wish vehicles larger than golf carts (other than a few needed for construction and trash handling) had never been allowed on the island. It's a slippery slope. Caye Caulker seems so idyllic to me when we visit there now; I hope they never turn into another San Pedro!

Emily

P.S. I still love San Pedro, but not the traffic.

Former Belize expat traveling the USA & Mexico
http://travelingtwosome.weebly.com
Marty #423994 12/02/11 09:49 PM
C
C
On the beach in front of the San Pedro Belize Express dock, big wooden posts have been put in on both sides of the park so that golf carts can not pass in front of the dock any more. They have to park and porter suitcases and packages an extra 20 feet. I think this will help the traffic and safety isseus in that area.

Marty #424332 12/05/11 10:10 PM
C
C
We have alot of laws on the books here. No driving vehicles on the beach, a speed limit, a leash law for dogs etc. etc. Problem is knowone will inforce them.

LONELY PLANET SAYS TOURIST LOVE OUR ART. BEST PRICES ON ART.

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 314 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day