Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#423857 12/01/11 11:51 AM
S
shiwa Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Well we finally decided to take the plunge we are moving down there. We've been talking about this for years and so it is now a reality. The house that we are buying needs some work so I was wondering if anyone could help with the following.

Estimate for paint. We will need about 5 gallons for the exterior. And the interior will also need to be done.

Also is there someone on the island that makes thatched roofs the home has porch covering that need to be done. We can do all the work. All we will have is time at first but wanted to put it out there so that we know. I guess we could scour the island looking for palm leaves until we had enough but I figured someone had a business doing them.

Any info is appreciated.

There are big paint sales going on at the hardware stores right now. A 5 gallon bucket of white paint is about $120 Bz.

Colours are selling for around $27 per gallon. About half price.

I saw some thatch material out by the fish market area behind the old football field. Thatching is an art. Be careful who you hire.

Congratulations on moving to your new home.

S
shiwa Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Thanks Amanda I appreciate the info.
It gives us a rough estimate.
Thatching yes I'll have to see about that it does look like an art. If I have time maybe I'll try and perfect it or at least try it.

We are really looking forward to our new life smile

R
R
We are doing extensive exterior painting and the "Best" Benjamin Moore exterior paint was reported to me to cost $38 bz a gallon retail in Belize City.

Jim
Formerly from somewhere on a beach in Belize
as i recall being told, thatch can only be properly harvested during certain times of the moon phase. my recommendation to any newbies - assume you know nothing at all about anything.

THATCH Also be careful of what you buy! It needs to be NEW and cut on the full moon and not left laying on the ground. It should be bundled in bunches of 25 each. You also need poles and sticks and these too need to be cut at the right time. It doesn't cost a lot for the thatch nor for qualified people to do te job. Just be sure you get experienced people. Ask to see something they have done recently.

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles
S
shiwa Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Thanks for the information on the thatch. We will investigate more and ask around on who could do this for us.

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 287 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.