Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#42424 07/27/01 09:26 AM
KC Offline OP
OP Offline
Has anyone seen the Aug 2001 issue of Cosmopolitan magazine? A horror story about two girls staying at Cap't Morgans in May of 2000. Was that incident discussed on the board at the time? Anyone have any more info? It portrayed the SP police as being non-helpful (to say the least) to these violent crime victims. I'm sure there is more to the story, but it certainly is not good press for AC or Capt. Morgans. Will be interesting to see if there are any "letters to the editor" in future issues concerning the article.

Kathy

"You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think."
#42425 07/27/01 10:58 AM
I found the San Pedro Police to be very very helpful during my stay in AC.

#42426 07/27/01 11:48 AM
L
L
Helpful or cute? (hee hee).

#42427 07/27/01 11:54 AM
cute AND helpful. KC stop worrying about Cosmo article. AC felt very safe to me and believe me I've traveled to a bunch of unsafe places. Go to AC and have fun.

#42428 07/27/01 01:15 PM
J
J
Hi Kathy, I haven't read the article and I can't seem to find the post, but I know this was mentioned on the board within the last few months. Somebody posted a comment that it wasn't a random assault, but rather a 'lesbian love triangle' or something to that effect. I'm sure you are concerned regarding the police from the viewpoint as a property owner on AC, so perhaps someone will address this that knows the facts.

#42429 07/30/01 12:32 PM
Hey Kathy, don't normally read Cosmo, but came across the article you were referring to. Just wanted to apologize about joking about a serious incident that was mentioned in the article. Don't know whether it's true or not, but if it did happen, it's sad. Can only say from my experience that I felt quite safe in AC.

#42430 07/30/01 09:04 PM
KC Offline OP
OP Offline
I find this very interesting. First of all, I didn't mention the article because I am worried about safety on AC. I have never felt unsafe there. (However, humans are humans all over the world, and one should not leave their common sense at home). I brought up the article mainly because I know how reporting can be slanted, and I was curious if any of the locals would shed any light on what WASN'T mentioned in the article. (Now, this is the interesting part... not one person has responded. There could be many reasons why, but I find it interesting nontheless). Jill, I'm not sure if this was supposed to be the "lesbian love triangle" thing or not... but these girls were not lesbian, since one of them had a boyfriend back home. However, I can see where this "excuse" would be a good story to tell to cover up an inept investigation. As if... if they were lesbian, beating their brains out was OK. huh? Anyway, if I took the story at face value, and believed it all, the thing that concerns me is the attitude of the police. It is scary to me that a woman was nearly beaten to death and they (seemingly) just covered it up. Notice that I started that thought with "IF I took the story...." As I said before, I rarely believe what I read in the press as being totally true.

I guess I'll not get many answers here, and I can understand why. Just thought I'd give it a try.

Kathy

PS: I NEVER read Cosmo... this article was shown to me by someone who knew I had just been to Belize.

[This message has been edited by KC (edited 07-30-2001).]

"You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think."
#42431 07/30/01 09:42 PM
L
L
Duh...I posted about this a couple of weeks ago. You guys blew me off like I was crazy.
They also removed my post after a couple of days. I find that very interesting. They will probably remove all of these posts too.
Coverup?? I think so. I think KC was on the right track with her suspicions.
OK Im done ranting now. Just had to vent.

#42432 07/30/01 10:27 PM
S
S
I'm surprised that they haven't taken these posts off too!! It seems like anything negative to say is not allowed, even if it could be something informative. I have gotten something out of all of these posts, good or bad, and think that they should all be allowed. We're not trying to hide anything....are we??

Peace, Susan

#42433 07/31/01 12:12 AM
KC Offline OP
OP Offline
Lynne, I'm sorry... I didn't see your post since I was in Belize at that time. I didn't know I was bringing up something that had already been posted about... and removed. I just think that everyone should be aware that these guys were never caught, and the attack was severe, leaving one girl with permanent brain damage (if the article is correct).

Kathy

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 308 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.