Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#425405 12/16/11 09:54 AM
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
We happened to arrive at Super Buy this morning right when they were unloading two truckloads of new stock.  One of the large delivery trucks had just driven off when Barry snapped these shots.  It's pretty crazy shopping here now as high season cranks up, as there are almost always numerous bicycles, golf carts, Polarises (ultra-loud souped-up 4WD golf cart-like vehicles), and sometimes trucks to dodge to find a parking place.  But the prices are good, so we keep coming back.  
Picture
You can see the back end of one of the large delivery trucks to the far right of the photo
Picture
Getting situated at the bike rack
Picture
Plenty of new stock arriving
One of many interesting things about shopping on Ambergris Caye is that very few stores have designated parking.  Many shops have a bike rack, but there are no "parking lots" like back in the US.  So people park on the street and pull in right in front of the stores, wherever they can find a place.  It's quite chaotic at times with vehicles coming and going.  The thing that really irks me is when a golf cart parks right in front of the bike rack, blocking entry and exit.  If your bike is parked in the middle of a couple of others and a cart pulls in right behind you, you're stuck.  I expect we'll be seeing more and more of this sort of thing as high season cranks into full gear next week and the week between Christmas and New Years.  Hopefully after that, things will calm down a bit.

BeBelize.weebly.com

is there a sale there or is this a blog

Seems to me like it's a protest from bicycle riders wanting space for new racks. Maybe they should quit getting stock for the store since the boxes take up too much bicycle space.

The only space there would be for a parking lot is the football field which is used everday by school students etc..

We live on an island!!
Totally opposite than living in the US.
You will adjust to island time....

Great post. Love this blog. They capture everyday life on the island so well!

Originally Posted by Ms Mar
Seems to me like it's a protest from bicycle riders wanting space for new racks. Maybe they should quit getting stock for the store since the boxes take up too much bicycle space.

The only space there would be for a parking lot is the football field which is used everday by school students etc..

We live on an island!!
Totally opposite than living in the US.
You will adjust to island time....

Wow, I am surprised that you drew that much of a negative conclusion from what I wrote. This was not a newspaper editorial, just a personal blog post. I didn't complain about the stock at all -- we need food here, and of course stocking days are going to be busy. It was just an observation. I know there are no parking lots here on the island, and I don't have a problem with that; once again it was merely an observation, something interesting to contrast to life back in the US. I also said nothing about wanting additional bike racks (although I wouldn't complain if more were added, of course!) My only complaint was about golf carts parking in such a way as to block bikes from entering or leaving the bike racks. That's it.

Our blog is merely a way of sharing with our friends and families back in the US so that they can get a glimpse of our lives here. I try to share some of the differences in life here with them so they can understand our day to day life in Belize, the good and the bad. And most of it is good!

I love this island or I wouldn't be here. I just find some things interesting or intriguing, and a few things make me scratch my head. Some of the differences from the US are wonderful, and that's why we are here. Some things are frustrating. That's life. I can deal with it, but I should be allowed to say it without being chastised for speaking my mind.

I'm not really comfortable with Marty pulling personal blog posts and putting them here if I'm going to be flamed for stating an opinion.

Emily

Former Belize expat traveling the USA & Mexico
http://travelingtwosome.weebly.com
Originally Posted by chunkyruth
Great post. Love this blog. They capture everyday life on the island so well!

Thank you, chunkyruth. I may have to password protect it, though, if I start feeling that I have to censor every word. I don't want to have to do that, but I will if people can't accept a single negative comment about Ambergris Caye, among the vast majority of positive comments about the island throughout the blog.

Emily

S
S
Don't let it bother you Emily..there's always a jerque in the crowd....

L
L
I just started reading the blog recently...really like it! Hope you keep at it, as I find it interesting, informative and funny...just everyday life on the island(and it is good and bad everywhere folks). Wish I could get fresh seafood delivered to my pad on the beach! smile

Thanks for the support SP Daily and LaurieMar! smile

Much appreciated,
Emily

Emily and Barry have been nothing but a wonderful asset since moving here. The island is lucky to have them both.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 304 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.