I leave Belize 6 months from today. It takes a few minutes for that idea to sink in. I still remember seeing the Belize flag and hearing my name called just under two years ago at Flag Day. My knees were shaking so bad that I stumbled into the wall as I was climbing the steps back to my seat. Yet, despite how vivid that memory is, my time here is over 75% complete. That thought freaks me out a little bit as well because I haven't done everything I wanted to do yet.
So, in order to make sure I don't miss anything I want to do because the time runs out, here is a list of the things I need to do before I leave Belize. These are in no particular order:
- SCUBA dive with the whale sharks
- Caracol Mayan ruins
- Lamanai Mayan ruins
- (I should probably also make it to Altun Ha and Cahal Pech, but I won't cry if I don't go to these ruins)
- Visit the Toledo district
- Participate in La Ruta Maya (either as a paddler or a support team member)
- Belize zoo (can't believe I haven't done this yet)
- St. Herman's Cave
- ATM Cave
- Visit Cancun or other part of Mexican Riviera
- Visit one more Central American country (preferably Costa Rica)
- Turn 30!
There are a few more things that I am surely forgetting right now, but hopefully I can get all of this done in the next six months.