We crossed Belize.

It took four hours.

The Cana�dian in me is laugh�ing. Four hours to cross a country?!

The day started at 8 a.m., in Orange Walk, or more exactly at the panadería "La Pop�u�lar" where we grabbed some bread for break�fast. We've been eat�ing spo�rad�i�cally the last few days, either because there is noth�ing open, because there is no power or because we sim�ply aren't hun�gry because of the heat.

Then we packed and walked to the bus sta�tion, by the ceme�tery (that says a lot about local dri�ving skills). There are no sched�ules but buses seem to show up any�way so we didn't have to wait long for the chicken bus to Belize City. This time, we man�aged the close the win�dow beside us and I tied my hair the best I could so that it wouldn't take me two hours to untan�gle after the ride-you live, you learn.

The bus was going fast, way too fast for an old school bus turned long dis�tance trans�porta�tion. I closed my eyes and focused on lis�ten�ing to the reg�gae music blar�ing through the loud�speak�ers. When you travel, you can't con�trol every�thing. You just have to let it go and hope for the best.

We made it to Belize City in two hours, and imme�di�ately jumped into another chicken bus to San Igna�cio, close to the bor�der with Guatemala. That part of the trip was more painful because our butts were sore from seat�ing on the non-padded seat, not to men�tion that school buses are made for kids and that my legs are just way too long. The bus was also crowded, and the moun�tain of lug�gage piled at the back, right behind, tended to spill over us.

We finally made it to San Igna�cio around 2 p.m.

The town hasn't changed much since our two times there, in 2001 and 2003. San Igna�cio is your typ�i�cal bor�der town: peo�ple don't stay long but they have to go through it. As a result, there is an impres�sive num�ber of busi�nesses and ser�vices geared towards trav�el�ers, from tours to bars, from laun�dry to for�eign banks. There is a lot of traf�fic and no side�walk, which makes for inter�est�ing walks. Streets are dusty and packs of dogs wan�der everywhere-one fol�lowed us for a good 30 minutes.

We are slowly get�ting used to the slow pace of life here. For instance, when�ever we go to a restau�rant, it takes a good 30 to 45 min�utes to get the food-assuming every�thing goes well. Min�utes turn into hours, and hours into days.

But none of that mat�ters any�way. We don't even know what time it is most of the time. Buses come when�ever and we arrive when�ever. Who cares.

Hard to believe we've only been gone a week. We are tan and cov�ered in mos�quito bites like true travelers.

Belize City Bus Station

Lit�tle Girl in the Bus

Car Wash

San Igna�cio

Wel�come to San Ignacio

The Old Bridge

The River

Amigo Bus Stop

The Old Bridge

San Igna�cio

Far West Street

Wise Graf�fiti