Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
L
LSC Offline OP
OP Offline
L
I will be in San Pedro for 8 weeks this winter. It is my understanding that both travellers cheques and money orders are a problem to cash in. I sure don't want to carry too much cash. Any suggestions?

The travellers cheques work. I guess I am not familiar with money orders as a form of everyday currency. You can use ATM's on the island. I have been told the Scotia Bank ATM is the least expensive. You can only get a limited amount of money from the machine but if you into the bank the teller can help if you need more.

It is good not to carry too much cash and not be flashy. Just go about your business and be street smart and things should be smooth and fun.

Island Supermarket, Village Market norh of bridge and the Shopping Center all gladly take travellers checks.

Dennis
M
M
I cashed a travellers cheque at a bank several weeks ago -- easy.

Most major businesses will accept US$ T/Cheques with ID, but I would recommend them in small denominations and not all $100s. With most places now accepting credit cards and the ATMs being international, we have just sort of forgotten the "older" methods of payment!

HOT Guide Belize - now on your mobile phone! Info, events, discounts & more - www.hotguidebelize.com
We brought Traveler's Checks on our first trip here but found them to be a bit of a pain. The lines to cash 'em at the bank are long, the process rather time-consuming, and you lose a little bit of money due to the exchange rate when you cash them at the bank.

The second trip we brought more cash, divided in multiple places between us (not in any checked luggage, obviously). We also made sure to tell our bank our travel dates so our ATM card would work, though there was a transaction fee.

Some major credit cards (Capital One for one) don't have foreign transaction fees and can be used in many places, though a lot of the local shops will require cash. We used a credit card for more expensive dinners and our resort bill and cash elsewhere.

Enjoy your trip!

Former Belize expat traveling the USA & Mexico
http://travelingtwosome.weebly.com
Most restsurants, hotels, dive shops and gift shops will accept travelers cheques with an exchange rate of $2.00 bz for $1.00 US. You will need to show your passport to match signatures.

L
LSC Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Thank you

L
LSC Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Thank you.

L
LSC Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Thank you.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 312 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.