Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#42651 08/02/01 09:45 AM
J
JMK Offline OP
OP Offline
J
I'll be arriving on Saturday and I've got to admit after reading that Cosmo article I'm a little concerned... granted bad things happen everywhere.

Anyway, a few questions. Women, what is the best way to hold your money/passport? Is it safe to use a pocketbook or better to do one of those money belts that you wear around your waist?

What has the weather been like? Do I need to bring a light jacket with hood???

#42652 08/02/01 11:59 AM
F
F
I don't consider myself an expert on AC by any measure, but I'll post my two cents worth.

I think that what crime there is on AC is very disorginized, low level, street crime, and frankly, not very much of that.

I saw no evidence of gangs like on some other islands.

It may sound silly to say, but I did not see one person carrying a handgun on the entire island, and I keep a certain situational awareness when I travel (tranlation - I was a MP, then a cop, for quite a while and can spot someone carrying from about a mile away).

So in my book, no one carrying AKs in the open, and no one even carrying pistols in their pockets, is a real good start. Don't try that in Guatamala, or even some parts of Mexico (no offense intended to either).

So, you are generally secure in your person in AC. That doesn't mean that the Belizean police are going to assign you your own personal guardian angel. Or that somehow the fact that you have traveled a far distance to visit a foreign land somehow relieves you of the responsibility to see to your own basic personal security.

You should take the same precautions you would when traveling in the US. Traveler's checks are good. Split your money up. Don't carry more money on your person then you actually need at that time. Use the safe in your room. Don't wear jewelry or expensive watches. Don't walk the streets alone in a strange place, AC or anywhere else, at 3 AM. So on and so forth.

But for goodness sake, don't be paranoid. AC is a nice mellow little place. Just use common sense, know your limitations, take basic precautions, relax, and have a good time.

[This message has been edited by Florian (edited 08-02-2001).]

#42653 08/02/01 12:15 PM
J
J
Great answer about personal safety, Florian.

Regarding your jacket question. I don't think one is required, the nights are warm and balmy, although if you get badly sunburned you could feel chilled, so it's really more important to make sure you don't burn than to bring a jacket of any kind.

#42654 08/02/01 01:39 PM
J
JMK Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Thanks for those tips. I appreciate what you're saying.

BTW I looked at the weather and thunderstorms are predicted for every day next week!!! Should I expect downpours or is it more of a 1x a day type thing!

#42655 08/02/01 01:46 PM
I'd like to second the advice for taking personal responsibility for your safety. And while I don't recommend walking around at 3 a.m. by yourself . . . well, I walked around at 3 a.m. by myself lots of times. (I've been there 3 times, last time for 3 weeks) Often my friend and I went home at different times.

I did it the same way I do at home. I didn't walk like a victim waiting for some one to jump out at me. I kept aware of my surroundings, I walked with authority, shoulders square and like I knew exactly where I was going. For personal safety, this is the way you are supposed to conduct yourself at home when walking alone, so why be different in a strange environment.

In any event, what I'm trying to say here is, that while you should certainly take all necessary precautions that you would normally take, on the whole, SP is a pretty safe place.

A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

#42656 08/02/01 02:02 PM
C
cjd Offline
C
JMK,

Dont worry too much about the thunderstorms in the forecast. Did you get it from Weather.com or wundergound.com or any major weather service? They're forcasts for either Belize City or Belmopan. The weather in the cayes is very different. It's a more arid climate than the mainland "jungle", even though its just a 20 minute plane ride from BC.

#42657 08/02/01 02:29 PM
HI JMK; Looks like your gettin lots of good advice. The thunderstorms this time of year are sporadic and quite enjoyable. Something about those little storms in the tropics are just wonderful to behold. I would suggest getting some Skin So Soft (SSS) from Avon to keep away the mosquitoes. Just rub on before or after your shower. The Mosquitoes are worse in the "outskirts" of San Pedro, but August is one of those months that the tradewind might stop, then Mosquitos and Heat are bad.

Gone fishing!!
#42658 08/02/01 03:33 PM
J
J
Just returned from two weeks. We had a thunderstorm on our first evening that was really exciting. A couple of three minute showers and then the last day it rained pretty much off and on all day. Still very warm, we walked downtown in the pouring rain with nothing but T-shirts and shorts. I remember checking the weather before we left and it also indicated rain and thunderstorms for the next 10 days, but that was not the case! We saw two mosquitos the whole trip, it's the no see-ums that got us.

#42659 08/02/01 03:40 PM
B
B
What are no-see-ums?? They sound interesting! What should we use to protect ourselves from them!!!!

#42660 08/02/01 05:00 PM
J
JMK Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Thanks everyone for all of the advice. It's hard to believe that I live in NYC and I almost never think twice about walking around yet, for some reason I get really nervous when I travel.

Glad to hear the rain shouldn't be too much of a disturbance. Maybe I'll throw in a lightweight hooded jacket.

I'm presuming the attire is pretty casual on the island? Or will I look like a slob in shorts and a tshirt?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 328 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.