Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#427102 01/07/12 08:37 PM
C
Colby Offline OP
OP Offline
C
What are the drinking laws in AC/Belize? Are golf carts cosidered motor vehicles? Is drinking driving (golf cart) acceptable?

C-

Colby #427104 01/07/12 08:53 PM
C
C
The law is the law - no drinking and driving anything. No public intoxication. What really happens in a whole other story. Typically if you behave yourself and are not a danger to yourself or anyone else (not obviously drunk or disorderly) then it is overlooked. Remember all recreational drugs are illegal and not nearly as tolerated so if you get caught you'll probably get to see the inside of the jail Two place you don't want to end up here - the jail or the hospital.

Colby #427111 01/07/12 09:45 PM
But just like all the other laws this is mostly ignored. Supposedly when you leave a drinking establishment they are supposed to put it in a disposable cup/glass. It has nothing to do with safety of sensibility - they don't like cleaning up broken glass from all the bottles that are dropped/thrown from the golf carts.
I must say the streets are much safet to walk on without shoes these days. When I first came here there were broken bottles everywhere.
AND nothing stops the folks from flying down the now better streets waving their drinks and laughing as they fly over speed bumps.

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles
ScubaLdy #427230 01/09/12 02:37 PM
C
Colby Offline OP
OP Offline
C
See beer on golf cart = OK as long as it is not glass?

Thanks-

C

Colby #427231 01/09/12 02:49 PM
Originally Posted by Colby

Thanks-

C

For a driver it illegal. Not sure about a passenger.

A golf cart is a vehicle.

As an aside - you must be 18 and have a valid license to drive one. Please folks - don't let your young kids get behind the wheel - it's not cute, it's not safe and it's definitely not legal.

Colby #427232 01/09/12 02:51 PM
D
D

Thanks-

C

This has got BAD Karma written ALL over it.

Please be careful.

DC

Originally Posted by Diane Campbell

Thanks-

C

For a driver it illegal. Not sure about a passenger.

A golf cart is a vehicle.

As an aside - you must be 18 and have a valid license to drive one. Please folks - don't let your young kids get behind the wheel - it's not cute, it's not safe and it's definitely not legal.

So true Diane.........the other day a saw a tourist allowing his son, who could be no more than 6 years old drive a rented golf cart up and down the beach in front of Wayo's several times. I felt like asking him if he allowed his son to drive his vehicle in the US!!!

I'm happier than a pig in s__t...a foot on the sand...and a Belikin in my hand!

[/quote]
So true Diane.........the other day a saw a tourist allowing his son, who could be no more than 6 years old drive a rented golf cart up and down the beach in front of Wayo's several times. I felt like asking him if he allowed his son to drive his vehicle in the US!!! [/quote]

One day I was driving my golf cart north of the bridge and was giving a ride to a lovely Belizean lady who has worked in the tourist industry for as long as I can remember. She is unfailingly friendly and polite in her work. A golf cart was coming towards us in the opposite "lane" with a child driving it, parents riding. My passenger said something to the effect of "These people have no respect for our laws or our country and it is rude. I wonder if I could break their laws and get away with it."

Please dear guests - try to learn the laws, respect them (even when you think they are foolish).
We want tourism to flourish and for every guest to be a long-term friend. Experiencing a culture by playing by the rules can be instructive and surely does not damage your holiday.

C
Colby Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Quote: "This has got BAD Karma written ALL over it."

Was merely needing to understand the alcohol laws in Belize as they can vary tremendously from country to country. Was certainly not speaking of getting hammered, driving like a maniac and throwing glass all over town. Just needing clarification of the law.

C-

Last edited by Colby; 01/10/12 10:09 AM.
Colby #427313 01/10/12 10:23 AM
Hi Colby, Regardless of laws,I just wouldn't do it. Possessesion of an open container by anyone in the cart is simply probable cause for a stop...and once that door is open who knows where that leads. Yes I'm sure that this kind of stop isnt typical or perhaps even likely but I just choose to limit my exposure to such interruptions

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 295 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.