Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#427170 01/08/12 04:55 PM
P
perloow Offline OP
OP Offline
P
Hello, two swedes escaping winter and icefishing for 2 weeks of sunshine and saltwater flyfishing. We are adventurous and like to fish without guides (not that I dislike guides, have been one myself, but for me one fish caught by myself beats 10 with a guide). Anyways are there other DIY fishermen out there who can share some of their experiences?? Any tip is surely appreciated and if you need any input on icefishing for pike in Sweden, send me a message!!

K
K
If you were a guide you wouldn't be asking.....
Assuming you were/are not a guide, you'll be lucky to do the 1/10 ratio, unless you want hand-size snappers and 14" bonefish. Get a guide.

Flyfishing my way through mid-life crisis.
S
S
Agreed! No guide = not boat. No guide = no knowledge of where to fish. No guide = grunts and other bottom feeders. Guide = a great day on the water and world class fishing.

S
S
Correct, in that no guide = no boat. No boat = more limited options, but options exist if someone was adventurous:

The Flats/areas in front of Sueno Del Mar, Blue Reef and between Sundiver/Journey's End all can be waded. Head north in the AM and walk/wade/fish south and you'll have the prevailing wind at your back as well as the sun. Lot's of bonefish, permit on the fringes of the flats, small permit in the turtle grass. I've caught both (bonefish and small permit) within 50 feet of our front door.

Again, guide = obviously more local knowledge, but if someone wants a DIY experience (which can kind of be inferred from the title of this thread) there is such experiences to be had on AC. Remember to get your sport fishing license.

If you're here for 2 weeks, personally I'd do both (guided and unguided.) The former letting you experience some of the truly great fishing areas the island has to offer, the latter offering you quality time wading, casting and enjoying the surroundings/serenity.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~Henry David Thoreau

I understand people's desire to protect the guide business but not being fully honest doesn't stand us in good stead.

I have a friend who comes here once a year for two months. Being an AVID fly fisherman he is not going to pay for a guide every day. He bought into Sueno del mar mainly because of the location and that he could fish whenever he wanted to. Of course he uses a guide for special days and pays well. He also fishes the lagoon.

SFJeff said it nicely.

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles
P
perloow Offline OP
OP Offline
P
krehfish and Simon B: I was a guide for Casa Iguana on little corn island, Nicaragua-sweet job in a sweet spot!! Have caught about 100 bones DIY fishing from beaches in Nicaragua and Honduras and a couple baby tarpoon. I have fished with great guides but it feels better for me to choose my fly, tie it on to my line, my reel, my rod, spot the fish, make the cast and hopefully hook and land the fish and ofcourse release it afterwards.

P
perloow Offline OP
OP Offline
P
SF Jeff and Scuba Ldy, thanks for your replies, will definetly try a couple of your spots Jeff, we have checked out potentional hotspots with satellite pics and we will rent cayaks and fish the shallows of the lagoon for bones and the river and mangroves for small tarpoon, we will try on our own first but might contact a guide if we are unsuccessful, however going a couple of days without fish just makes it sweeter when you get one.

Nice quote at the end Jeff.

Cheers//Per

My neighbors rent kayaks and my yard man handles them for them when they are gone. They have one double and many singles of various sizes. PM me for more info.

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 308 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.