Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#427460 01/11/12 12:19 PM
jigzmom Offline OP
OP Offline
I know, I know, it's the weather question again. But this time with a different subject (I hope). What is the wind like in late January/early February, in general?

The reason I ask is that our last few vacations were somewhat impaired by high winds during this timeframe. Scuba and snorkeling, our main activities, were canceled/unsafe due to high and heavy surf, which left very little for us to do. Those vacations, however, were in the eastern Caribbean (Anguilla, St. Kitts, St. Croix) where the "Christmas winds" happen that time of year. Do those winds affect Belize too? I saw one post on TripAdvisor where a person rated an AC resort and said his scuba was canceled his entire stay in January because of winds.

jigzmom #427468 01/11/12 12:50 PM
http://sanpedroweather.com/

Dana, you can go back and look at historical data on this web site, Be sure to give Amanda and her husband props for maintaining the station. Its no small deal to stream weather and webcam data. The station is just north of your Pelican Reef lodgings

Based on what I've seen the onshore easterlies are beginning to establish themselves and that usually involves some chop on occasion. You want glassy still water on a regular basis you may want to re-book for August and September my dear, and of course that entails the risk of winds of a whole different nature! lol wink

jigzmom #427471 01/11/12 01:21 PM
jigzmom Offline OP
OP Offline
Thank you Bear! That is an excellent weather site.

Your news isn't all bad -- we can deal with chop, it's the white caps and breakers that can put a damper on water activities. I've seen dive boats go out in heavy chop. During our 10-day trip to Anguilla a few years back, the wind was so strong and constant the dive boats were beached for the last eight days of our vacation and snorkeling was impossible. Very depressing. And when hubby ain't happy, ain't nobody happy!!

I'll keep my fingers crossed and my eyes on the weather site. As for visiting during hurricane season, I think not! wink

jigzmom #427473 01/11/12 01:33 PM
Too bad you aren't here today -- it's calm and glassy after days of fairly high wind.

Former Belize expat traveling the USA & Mexico
http://travelingtwosome.weebly.com
jigzmom #427678 01/13/12 10:02 AM
Originally Posted by jigzmom
Thank you Bear!
smile As I said don't thank me Dana, thank Amanda and Callum for the dedication, time and money keeping it up and running.

jigzmom #427754 01/13/12 10:54 PM
I hear you jigzmom
3 years ago spent 2 weeks on a catamaran in the Bahamas. Seas were too rough to go anywhere,small craft warnings & diving cancelled. We got out snorkling ONCE!! ... it was sort of like camping in the rain.
We stayed in a marina or on the hook drinking beer and playing cards the whole time. Then when the marinas started running low/out of ice and beer... well it got pretty expensive, that supply and demand thing.
Not that I mind drinking beer and playing cards but I dearly wanted to dive. That said, every cloud has a silver lining and it was nasty cold with lots of snow back home while we were in the sun, sea and... wind.

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 115 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,198
Posts500,015
Members20,458
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.