Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
M
OP Offline
M
On another forum, a couple of travellers reported that the water taxi company (not named) collected a port fee or a docking fee from all passengers on the water taxi to Chetumal.

Can anyone confirm if this is a valid fee or just another scam?

http://www.tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic...mbergris_Caye_Belize_Cayes.html#37914582

C
C
I have never heard of this and dont believe it. To many locals on those boats that would speak up. Absolutly never have heard of the water taxis charging anything except the fee for the ticket. They will offer transit to Tulum and Playa, and do money exchanges but thats it.

LONELY PLANET SAYS TOURIST LOVE OUR ART. BEST PRICES ON ART.
R
R
I had to pay a departure tax to go to Chetumal a few weeks ago. I can't remember how much. Maybe 10bz each for the 2 of us. Then a week later I had to pay a departure tax plus a port fee?? to leave Chetumal. The departure tax I knew was coming and that was paid at a bank.

That is not counting $28 pesos (a little over $2 USD)cargo fee I paid to the port authority for a large but light object I brought back. I asked twice if the cargo was on board and they said yes. Finally when boarding I stopped and blocked traffic entering the ferry and asked again because I knew it wasn't on board as it was nowhere in sight and was too large to put in a hole below. They had to send someone up to the head of the pier to get it before we left. I agreed to hold on to it in the aisle below and all turned out good.

Governments need your money. wink

Jim
Formerly from somewhere on a beach in Belize
F
F
We travel this way several times through the year. Each time we have to pay a port fee going from Belize to Chetumal. It isn't that much, maybe $5bze during the week days and $15bze during the weekend. We also pay a port fee when we are in Chetumal and coming into Belize. Sometimes we've been charged this fee, and sometimes it's been overlooked. I may be wrong in calling it a port fee, but I think that's what they said when I was purchasing the ticket.

Have paid a port fee every time we've gone.

C
C
The poster stated the water taxi company collected fees, and thats not right. they never said it was immigration which can charge fees, so a bit confussing.

LONELY PLANET SAYS TOURIST LOVE OUR ART. BEST PRICES ON ART.

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 379 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.