Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#427745 01/13/12 08:49 PM
E
Eli44 Offline OP
OP Offline
E
I visited Ambergris years ago (the early 80s) and will be visiting again in May. Has the area changed much? I am sure it has! Are there a large number of opinionated swanky expats? Resorts? Condos? Etc... What is the overall feel of the area? Anything like it used to be culturally? Looking forward to my visit!

Eli

Eli44 #427749 01/13/12 09:06 PM
quote"Are there a large number of opinionated swanky expats? Resorts? Condos? Etc... "

Yes, how did you know?????? LOL

The locals are still as friendly as ever. You will see some changes but the old island feel is still around, you just have to look harder. Enjoy your trip.

If you outlaw guns, only outlaws will have guns.
A bullet fired,cannot be called back.
A.C.G.C.
G
G
Originally Posted by Tracker
quote"Are there a large number of opinionated swanky expats? Resorts? Condos? Etc... "

Yes, how did you know?????? LOL

The locals are still as friendly as ever. You will see some changes but the old island feel is still around, you just have to look harder. Enjoy your trip.

Good summary by both of you!

Eli44 #427799 01/14/12 10:44 AM
Originally Posted by Eli44
I visited Ambergris years ago (the early 80s) and will be visiting again in May. Has the area changed much? I am sure it has! Are there a large number of opinionated swanky expats? Resorts? Condos? Etc... What is the overall feel of the area? Anything like it used to be culturally? Looking forward to my visit!Eli

Oh wow...I think youre going to need a bit of a sedative Eli...either that or few good pulls on a bottle of Caribbean dark. From a development standpoint the difference for us from our first visit in the very early 90's was pretty astounding, 80's proabbaly even more so.

Now, having said that, Tracker is right; the folks are still very friendly but despite the development the street presence of the expat/local foreign community feels pretty diluted (at least to us). Tracker also alludes, correctly again, that maybe that dilution is not so strong on the Ac.com boards. lol!

The build up is significant but that wonderful multicultural feel and vibrancy is alive and well in SP. It is a big reason why we chose the Caye over Placencia. There we felt the impact of the expat community was far more pronounced both on the street and on the workings of the town. Apologies to my indignant aquaintances in Placencia but they already know my feelings about that.

I'll be interested in your opinions once you've taste tested it all for yourself.

Eli44 #427948 01/15/12 10:29 PM
Indeed!

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 252 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,204
Posts500,029
Members20,468
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.