Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#428059 01/16/12 10:42 PM
OP Offline

[Linked Image]

Does Ambergris Caye have a FAR (Fire and Rescue) unit? Would like to put together a volunteer team that would work the water water ways in and around San Pedro Town working with the local fire dept and more importantly from the bride to the north where many of the homes and resorts are right on or near the water but left on their own as from the satalite photos the roads don't look like a fire truck could reach the homes in time.

Is this service provided by the Belize Coast Guard?

Would I encounter a lot of push back from the Belize Gov? to promote such a venture?

Thanks so much in advance for your input.

SunDevil #428064 01/16/12 11:23 PM
Is it your intention to this as a gift to the island?

A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

SunDevil #428065 01/16/12 11:30 PM
What is the draft... could it even get around or close to the buildings. There is a thread on this forum about well intentioned gifts that don't work and or are miss used. I suggest you search for it.

CarlosCabanas #428116 01/17/12 09:22 AM
Judging from observing past endeavors in Belize, I would say this could be beneficial to the country. Not for its original intent, but after a few years as an artificial reef. Now some will consider this comment to be sarcastic. Others with more knowledge of Belize will consider it to be an accurate prediction.

bywarren #428130 01/17/12 11:01 AM
Originally Posted by bywarren
Judging from observing past endeavors in Belize, I would say this could be beneficial to the country. Not for its original intent, but after a few years as an artificial reef. Now some will consider this comment to be sarcastic. Others with more knowledge of Belize will consider it to be an accurate prediction.

grin @ byWarren Another artificial reef? wink

Sundevil, To answer your question no there is no boat of the kind youre talking about. The fire dept on the island struggles to respond to structure fires with only 400 gallons of water on its pumpers. Unfortunately the sustainability of such ideas even when originated from within the country oft falls by the wayside. I'm still waiting to see the locally proposed bouy system to safeguard swimmers and boaters after a terribly unfortunate accident last summer. The intent is good, and I like the spirit in which it is offered.

seashell #428155 01/17/12 02:00 PM
OP Offline
Originally Posted by seashell
Is it your intention to this as a gift to the island?

If your asking will I spend 3.5 mil + to buy this life and property saving piece of equipment to turn over to the government of Belize the anwser to that would be "no". I believe to maintain the integrity of this program and to serve the people of Ambergris Caye its best left in the hands of private enterprise. Now, if the residents of Ambergris care to contribute
to the cause this would be of course welcome, operating costs would certainly be high!
Thanks so much for your comment.

CarlosCabanas #428156 01/17/12 02:11 PM
OP Offline
Originally Posted by CarlosCabanas
What is the draft... could it even get around or close to the buildings. There is a thread on this forum about well intentioned gifts that don't work and or are miss used. I suggest you search for it.

Hello Carlos,
Thanks for your input. The draft on this particular boat is about 4 feet so unless there is pilings, bolders or other under water debris located in the approach to a water side fire it should be able to handle most any situation. Was looking at the pictures of your resort (if it is yours) and from what I can see the fire boat would have NO issues to the approach. That being said, the bow water cannon has a shooting distance of approx. 185 feet the two aft cannons are slightly less.

bywarren #428158 01/17/12 02:50 PM
OP Offline

Bywarren,
Thanks for your comment. I don't find your comment sarcastic at all, on the contrary, it holds allot of truth. No matter if its national government, local gov or the private sector "good intentions often go by the wayside just like a sunkin vessel in a reef. Many times (more often than not) government often gets in the way of projects that can be of the good of it's people, many times people start projects without looking at the whole picture and that is a very sad thing.

Bear #428160 01/17/12 03:02 PM
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Bear

grin @ byWarren Another artificial reef? wink

Sundevil, To answer your question no there is no boat of the kind youre talking about. The fire dept on the island struggles to respond to structure fires with only 400 gallons of water on its pumpers. Unfortunately the sustainability of such ideas even when originated from within the country oft falls by the wayside. I'm still waiting to see the locally proposed bouy system to safeguard swimmers and boaters after a terribly unfortunate accident last summer. The intent is good, and I like the spirit in which it is offered.

Hey Bear,
Appreciate your feed back. Why is the government dragging their feet on a bouy system for "Safety" and particularly after an accident, are we dealing with a thought process of "Every person for themselves?" In my past dealing (business or private) it takes a head strong individual to make things happen. How big would this safety bouy system project be? Is the scope of this project be massive or just in a few key areas where swimmers and boats have the tendency to collide.
As far as my project goes I wonder would it be welcomed by the powers to be, would it be seen as an intrusion by national an/or local government? I gaurantee you that if a fire broke out at a resort, a million dollar home, or anywhere else that the local fire dept cannot respond to, there would be many that would be delighted at this prospect.

Thanks again!

SunDevil #428162 01/17/12 03:14 PM
SICK<
It doesn't pad anybody pocketbook.

Reality is only an illusion that occurs due to a lack of alcohol
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 144 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,204
Posts500,029
Members20,468
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.