Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
SunDevil #428203 01/17/12 09:08 PM
It is a funding issue. Sometimes the fire department doesn't have money to buy fuel for the fire truck. The San Pedro FD is also part of the national fire service, so there is little local control.
IMHO if the island took over the FD it could be a much more efficient service.

reaper #428205 01/17/12 09:38 PM
D
D
I'm curious, with the recent fires, and unfortunate lack of water available by the San Pedro FD... has anyone looked into "water buffaloes" or "water wagons" for added capacity?

I realize many streets are narrow, but these trailer mounted water tanks can hold 500 gallons (some brands even more), are relatively cheap, and are quite maneuverable, especially by the fire truck, not engine.

DC

SunDevil #428207 01/17/12 09:51 PM
Originally Posted by SunDevil
Doesn't the township of San Pedro get donations from the community to upgrade equipment? Isn't there any like fund raising events to raise money to help to purchase equipment? That would assist in saving of property?

I'll have to deferr to those more knowledegable than I about local fundraising. Regrdless of source I doubt the community in general is in any position to make the kind of very substantial donations youre talking about. Poke around a bit and take a look at the kinds of funding associated with Belizean gov't public works projects and you'll get a sense of scale of the kind of expenditures your talking about.

Because basic public works projects haven't been funded it would, in my opinion, be very difficult to build the kind of interest and private particiapation necesssary for a project of this magnitude. Particularly one that does not demonstrate immediate visible "usefulness". I am not trying to minimize the potential loss of human life and property, or the horrors of fire in general that such a boat could safeguard against, I'm simply saying one is talking about putting this $$X.X million project up against far more tangible projects that kind of money could significanlty address.

SunDevil #428213 01/17/12 10:43 PM
S
S
You could save about $3,450,000 and put a Davey pump on a panga... or two.

SFJeff #428238 01/18/12 08:34 AM
Originally Posted by SFJeff
You could save about $3,450,000 and put a Davey pump on a panga... or two.

There's the Caye solution

reaper #428296 01/18/12 12:40 PM
OP Offline
Originally Posted by reaper
A fire boat is exactly what the island needs for safety/fire/rescue issues. Not as large as the one pictured however.
There are many smaller models available that have about 1 foot of draft. There is equipment that can ensure an endless water supply and fire hose that can be extended from the boat up to 1,000+feet away flowing over 100gpm's.
The problem is the lack of governmental concern and funding for fire safety issues. I find that intersting but not surprising. Ambergris Caye has as many fires and other emergencies as a city 4 times the population. And good luck getting a fire truck past the bridge when you need one.
Purchasing, equiping, maintaning, training, boat storage and theft are all major concerns for a fire boat idea. But it is a good idea.

Reaper,
Thanks so much for your input. Yes, since I've found out about the shallow water around Ambergris Caye I'm looking for ALLOT smaller boat, one that will fit under the bridge as well. The one I've found has the capacity to pump water from the fire boat to supply water to the land base fire truck. Investigating the distance of hose that can be used from the fire boat that the pump will support. Once water is supplied to the fire truck the truck can then use its pump to work the fire with unlimited water supply.

reaper #428306 01/18/12 01:33 PM
OP Offline
Originally Posted by reaper
It is a funding issue. Sometimes the fire department doesn't have money to buy fuel for the fire truck. The San Pedro FD is also part of the national fire service, so there is little local control.
IMHO if the island took over the FD it could be a much more efficient service.

I agree with you on the going "private" for the FD. Sometimes keeping the gov out is best.

TravelinMan1 #428316 01/18/12 02:53 PM
OP Offline
Originally Posted by TravelinMan1

although I am sure your heart is in the right place the idea is not very practical.

Good Luck.

Am curious how much it cost to build the "Clock Tower" in town. Thats awesome..will give folks the time of day or night when the next fire starts.

SunDevil #428344 01/18/12 09:29 PM
Am curious how much it cost to build the "Clock Tower" in town. Thats awesome..will give folks the time of day or night when the next fire starts.

Bahahaha SunD you have no idea...I'd say most folks are hoping it is the next fire...any volunteers that showed up would probably add fuel once they realised what was burning...IMO the resulting bonfire would be the most benefit derived from the damned thing yet.

Bear #428352 01/18/12 10:18 PM
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Bear

Bahahaha SunD you have no idea...I'd say most folks are hoping it is the next fire...any volunteers that showed up would probably add fuel once they realised what was burning...IMO the resulting bonfire would be the most benefit derived from the damned thing yet.

Ahhhhh ha ha ha ha I take it that it (the idea, money spent on it or actual building) was well received.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 283 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.