Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
OP Offline
*A child born to an educated mother is more than 2x as likely to survive to the age of 5

*Educated mothers are 50% more likely to immunize their children than mothers without an education

*Every extra year of school increases productivity by 10 - 30%

*Individual earnings increase by 10% for each year of school completed

*A girl who completes basic education is 3x less likely to contract HIV/AIDS

*Educated women re-invest 90% of their income in their families. Men invest 30 - 40%

Ms. Diane, do u have any references for these facts? I'd like to see the research as some of the statements seem to make sence intuatively. But a few of them are a bit strange to me... thx...

Dr Walkabout Buzzard

I actually Googled the whole phrase, and got lots of hits.

Education for life

Good information!

"The truly happy person is the one who can enjoy the scenery even when he must take a detour"
Bottom Line is: Keep them in school as long as possible to improve their chances of becoming productive and self sustaining adults. ignorance seems to breed poverty.

I might take issue with the last statement. I remember decades of investing 100% in my family.

Been there, done that, the washing machine ate the T-shirt
Good point Bobber, my husband has done/ is doing the 100% thing. Might be that this refers to certain countries.

"The United Nations Economic and Social Commission for Asia and the Pacific Countries also points to the relationship between women in the workforce and higher GDP, noting that growth in India, for example, would increase by 1.08 ppt if its female labor-participation rate were put on par with the US. In the book, Women Empowered: Inspiring Change in the Emerging World (2007), former US Secretary of State Madeleine Albright cites the economic benefits of investing in women, pointing out that women reinvest 90% of their income in their families and communities, compared to men who reinvest only 30% to 40% of their income. Entrepreneur Vikram Akula, who founded SKS Microfinance in 1998 to spur development in rural India, has provided about US$275 million in loans and life insurance to more than 900,000 women living in India's slums and villages while enjoying a 99% repayment rate. Akula attributes the high repayment rate to the fact that women are more likely than men to support each other (e.g., in repaying the loan) and to invest in their households."

"The truly happy person is the one who can enjoy the scenery even when he must take a detour"
I googled too and found people saying this info came from UNICEF. But I still haven't found any specific study or reseach to back this up. The points I have a hard time believing are:

*Individual earnings increase by 10% for each year of school completed

*Educated women re-invest 90% of their income in their families. Men invest 30 - 40%

Dr Walkabout Buzzard

K
K
You're it Bobber.

Flyfishing my way through mid-life crisis.
Who usally pays for home mortgages, car payments, utility bills, childrens tuition? things like that yukno? That is the reason I'd like to see some unbiased facts when ascertaions such as those posted are made. Guess i should just drink the tea and baa baa follow the sheep's dog.

Dr Walkabout Buzzard

C
C
I don't know, but as I look around in Belize, it seems a lot of the children are being raised by grandmothers while their mothers work to support them and the dad has moved on making more babies with another young lady.

Bobber, I would say that I spent 25 years of my life contributing 98% of my income to the family. I will admit to consuming an occasional adult beverage during that time, mostly for mental therapy to keep me from doing harm one or another of my kids.

[quote=crockhunter]I don't know, but as I look around in Belize, it seems a lot of the children are being raised by grandmothers while their mothers work to support them and the dad has moved on making more babies with another young lady.

quote]

True nuff. But I have also seen societies where typically the men work for wages while the woman performs the household and child-raising work. So how/when and where are such "statistics" made? And I think that poverty and lack of education are very real and important problems, and generalizations made w/o any supporting evidence does not help raise awareness or show how any meaningful help could be offered.

Dr Walkabout Buzzard

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 303 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.