Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
The San Mateo community is back in the news after a recent preliminary report from a US based university confirmed that tests show that the water in the San Mateo Subdivision are contaminated.

"Engineers without Borders-USA" sent a group of students from the Texas A & M University to conduct a reconnaissance trip in January of 2012 during which they conducted a three part evaluation of potable water in the San Mateo Community. These evaluations included water quality field tests, water and sewer infrastructure assessment and a water quality survey. The alarming results confirmed what many have suspected for years.

The report states that "the bacteria, coliform, found in the water, can be linked to feces; thus we believe it is due to the inadequate handling of sewage in San Mateo. Our spot testing of water taps showed irregular contamination. Some taps provide contaminated water at times and not at other times. This is likely due to the current design, operation, and maintenance of the piped system. As the water distribution lines pass through sewage contaminated surface water, the erratic pressure (including no pressure) in the lines likely results in variable contamination of the entire system." The report analysis indicates that the current San Mateo water distribution system is "inadequate" and is a problem that cannot be easily fixed.

According to the preliminary report, there exists a high possibility of acquiring a waterborne illness from consuming water from either water sources. Those at risk are particularly infants, children, pregnant women, the elderly and anyone with a weak immune system.

Click here for the rest of the story and pictures in the San Pedro Sun

Wanted: working government

It is a thoughtful and kind gesture of the university engineering students to offer their time and talents to conduct the water study, and I'm sure the community appreciates knowing the results of the efforts.

But I think anyone living in San Mateo or who has visited that area on any occassion could tell you the water is 'contaminated' and dangerous to the health of the people living there.

C
C
I'm not sure how the water system works in that area, but it sounds like there is some backsiphoning occuring during times of no pressure. My question would be, could it also affect Holy Cross School or even some of Reef Village? It would probably be wise to ask Mayoral canidates their thoughts on what should be done. It looks to me like it's everyone's problem and something needs to be done.

Some will probably take this as a crusty old mans cynicism, but this island needs to stop attracting more people and building more to accommodate them until investment in the infrastructure can provide the necessities for those who are already here. A moratorium on people is what is needed. Collect the taxes owed, raise taxes if necessary and make the investments needed or the future of this island is bleak. Short term greed and lack of long term investment and planning will be the demise.
When more tourist go home inconvenienced by the lack of services "Isla Bonita" will eventually become a much less desierable destination and when more go home robbed and murdered or deathly sick from unsanitary conditions, that time will come much sooner.

Last edited by bywarren; 01/21/12 03:37 PM.
S
S
Tell that to the politicians that give away lots in swamp areas

Originally Posted by iluvbelize
It is a thoughtful and kind gesture of the university engineering students to offer their time and talents to conduct the water study, and I'm sure the community appreciates knowing the results of the efforts.

But I think anyone living in San Mateo or who has visited that area on any occassion could tell you the water is 'contaminated' and dangerous to the health of the people living there.

ILB, most certainly that is true, but I'll wager that independent sampling and chain of custody has not been part of the record. I certainly can't find any online evidence of that. Engineers without Borders USA, the sponsors and underwriters of the Aggies trip to AC, is a fabulous organization. The opportunities they provide engineering and technical students usually serves a broader purpose and not just information for information's sake. Because of their involvement I'd wager someone, or some persons, are working behind the scenes with serious intent.

Hopefully, this modestly funded assessment project with the grand name Water Purification System for San Mateo is the precursor to broader actions. I certainly hope so...

PS Bywarren I tried to PM you but yer In-Box is Chock Full 'o Nuts. Oh and Ernie? never mind... wink )

Originally Posted by Bear
Wanted: working government

Yes Bear, where is the government in all of this...do they not take responsibility in anything?

San Mateo was created by our area representative as free land to 'empower the people' promises of road, electricity, water and sewage where made to get votes and I'm sure they did vote.
I hope its remembered when they vote again!

White Sands Dive Shop
https://whitesandsdiveshop.com/
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

Water samples continue to show contamination in San Mateo

The residents of the San Mateo area of San Pedro Town were privileged to receive a working visit from a group of three from the Caribbean Student Environmental Alliance (SEA). The purpose of the visit was to involve the residents, especially the young people of the community in a one week camp geared at helping them to understand the importance of taking care of the water and what can be done to clean it up. One of the main goals for the non-profit group during their visit was to conduct water samples in the community.

Speaking to The San Pedro Sun, group leader Mary Beth Sutton explained they conducted testing by sampling pipe water for bacteria and water that is settled in the general area. Speaking of the water test results, Sutton said that over 50 samples were taken and "It appears that most of the tap water is free of most bacteria. I do hedge a little since the test we are using is best for areas where there is a large degree of bacterial contamination. With that said, there were still several homes that had significant bacterial contamination in their tap water. I will look and see if this is a cluster of homes in a close knit area. The water in pools around the homes that was collected by many young people was universally contaminated with not only coliform bacteria but with escherichia coli and it appears that other harmful bacteria and fungi are also present."

It is not the first time that water samples show contamination in the San Mateo area. In January of 2012 a group of students from the Texas A & M University conduct a reconnaissance trip during which they conducted a three part evaluation of potable water in the San Mateo Community. The evaluations included water quality field tests, water and sewer infrastructure assessment and a water quality survey. The alarming results confirmed what many have suspected for years. The results from Sutton's test show the actual amount of contamination per 100 milliliter of water. "The numbers were widely varied. From over 100,000 coliforms per 100 milliliter in drinking water to too many escherichia coli colonies to count in the surface pools," adding that "something needs to be done to protect the young people of San Mateo from infection and disease from the contaminated water," explained Sutton.

Click here to read the rest of the article and see more photos in the San Pedro Sun

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 308 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.