Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
OP Offline
J
Hey all! I'm about to get back on the road and heading down within the month. My question is if anyone can hook me up with info leading to a succesful work exchange. Im doing this on the same basis as the WWOOF organization (I work for no pay but am granted food in my belly, an area to sleep, and to have a new experience) If anyone knows of an eco-village or farm that needs an extra hand, I'm here to help! Looking to stay with the same host for a few weeks to a few months, depends on how it goes. I am well traveled and open minded, in the next few years i want to visit/live in ten countries. I am also very interested in being back on the water learning how to sail smile

Any help is appreciated!

Thank you very much!

Hello friend ---- a visit to Belize is a wonderful thing, but your work exchange idea may be difficult to implement. You need a work permit to work here, even when it's work-exchange as you suggest.

There are some charities and NGO's in Belize that have excellent volunteer programs, and they make the appropriate arrangements for their volunteers. The details on those and how to participate would be found via the websites that promote general "vacation-volunteering". In most cases the volunteers pay to do the programs (not a lot but something) rather than receiving food & housing "in exchange". You might want to check out the websites that do such placements and see what is required, how to apply and whether food and housing is included. Most of these programs offer excellent experiences.

J
OP Offline
J
Hey! Thank you for the reply, all help is greatly appreciated! But what you wrote got me thinking.

...A work exchange IS volunteering, not "work" even though it contains that word...but now you got me wondering. But you also said "vacation" volunteering, im not on vacation, im moving in on your front lawn wink. Also where you stated theres organizations that i would have to pay to volunteer for?, that is on the complete opposite side of the spectrum in what i am trying to achieve.

I was just wondering if anyone had resources for eco villages or farms that need extra help, when its the farm hosts' personal property they can invite anyone they choose to "work", same difference as if i was hitchhiking somewhere and a person needed a hand with whatever and after i helped them they invite me in for dinner and say i could string up my hammock on their property,,,no permits needed there! And this is how i travel

I can get hooked up with a spot through wwoof latin america or through friends that i have living in the country who have visited the eco villages but figured this would be a more personal approach to finding a place, maybe even find someone in the same position. Its kind of like fishing.

*I am hoping for a miracle of someone saying " o, hello good sir, i am currently located at yadda yadda yadda and we need a strapping young lad to come give us a hand, we can offer you a place of refuge and food in your gut" Theres no need for permits when its personal, its face to face interaction, no paperwork, the way the world should be

Thank you to all who even look at this post.

live in the dream
In reality you will not have a problem unless you get someone mad at you and they report you to immigration. Technically it is not legal as it is volunteering, but is done quite often.

S
S
Visas are stamped "permitted to remain on condition that the holder does not enter into employment, paid or unpaid and does not engage in any business." Seems to be pretty much ignored based on the number of illegals here.

It's a grey area. I was at an event where the Prime Minister's wife welcomed a group of volunteers from a cruise ship who spent their day painting the children's ward at the hospital along with other 'voluntourism' activities. No one had been issued or been asked to show any sort of permit. I attempted to get a volunteer permit when I first arrived for some volunteer work I was doing. Immigration told me I was being silly and that they weren't interested in people like me who were doing genuine volunteer work and not taking a job from a Belizean. Who knows whether it would be enforced or not for a genuine volunteer. I've certainly never heard of it and know of a lot of places that use volunteers for genuine volunteer work without any sort of official recognition or permissions. That doesn't mean it is technically legal, but there are lots of grey areas when you're talking about legalities and enforcement in Belize. The impression I get is that they word the visa that way to stop people from taking real jobs away from Belizeans claiming to be 'volunteers' to get around the work permit process.

www.conchcreative.com
Belize Wedding Photography

When we first moved to Belize my wife and I volunteered in the prison teaching reading and writing. We got in trouble. It happens.

J
OP Offline
J
That's the whole basis I'm going on, I'm not taking any work from a belizean. I ran into that issue when I was living on ambergris and know that if I want to volunteer its gonna be me doing just that, giving my time and energy for "nothing". Anyone need help with anything smile? I'm a nice person to have around. And thanks to everyone who posted in here, your awesome

live in the dream
J
OP Offline
J
If anyone needs anything from the states that you cant get on the island and i could carry within my pack, let me know smile

live in the dream
Have you tried www.couchsurfing too?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 302 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.