Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
D
OP Offline
D
Hi all!
I've been lurking for a while, as I plan my trip to 'your' caye. The weather channel here in the states keeps mentioning Hurricane Chantal. I'm coming to visit in one week and I'm hoping that Chantal won't spoil my visit, and of course, won't be a devastating monster to all of the locals. Is the media here just lacking any news or should I be worried? The news says it's headed right through the Caribbean, and that Jamaica, Belize, Honduras and the Yucatan peninsula in particular should be ready.

See you soon! I've enjoyed reading all of your posts!

B
B
The problem with hurricanes or tropical storms is that noone, not even the Weather Channel, knows where they are going until they hit.
Two weeks ago, I left my house in La., for a beach house in Pensacola thinking TS Barry was hitting La. The day after I got to Pensacola, Barry turned around. All day Sunday they said it was going to hit between Pensacola and Destin....it hit Panama City, we hardly got any rain.
At the rate these things move, if it turns out to be a large storm, your flights could be cancelled. Of course, it could turn North, and hit me again (they follow us, first Allison, then Barry). Nobody will know anything more definite until it passes Jamaica and hits the Gulf.
Just hold tight, and keep a closer eye on Monday.

[This message has been edited by BillandJeanne (edited 08-17-2001).]

Odds are against it hitting Belize this early in the season, as most storms in this part of the western Caribbean come later, but of course with storms anything is possible.

Before Keith hit last year, there hadn't been a major hurricane in Belize in 39 years.

--Lan Sluder

Lan Sluder/Belize First
http://www.belizefirst.com
watch it on intellicast.com.....go to "tropical weather" outlook....you'll find "Chantal" on there...reading the advisory as well as storm tracking. But truth was spoken above....you just don't know!!! No need to worry right now, but a little prayer of thanks for "disipating" it wouldn't hurt!!

[This message has been edited by rickcheri (edited 08-17-2001).]

M
M
After surviving KEITH last year, I say heed US weather reports. Local reporting is worthless...

R
R
The best website to track Hurricanes is the National Hurricane Center. Website: http://www.nhc.noaa.gov
I'm leaving for AC in a week so i'll be watching too.

here's my hurricane watch cheat sheet for watching storms in the Belize area...
//AmbergrisCaye.com/hurricanelinks.html

L
L
We're watching it too, as we head down a week from today. Someone in the dive shop today said they thought it might reach Belize as early as tomorrow night, if it is going to - that sounds awfully fast to me, given Chantal's progression so far. We'll wait and see. And pray that it falls apart.

anyone that LIVES on AC....how's the weather right now??? 7:15 pm???

T
T
Today has been really really hot. Even though. Last year with Keith we had dark clouds and rain but none of that yet. I am leaving for the mainland tomorrow morning, if by Tuesday everything is calm well I will come back home.
The pages that I go to check the satellite and prediction are as follows http://www.ghcc.msfc.nasa.gov/GOES/ satellite http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/ tropical Prediction
Hope this helps

Theresa
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 104 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,204
Posts500,028
Members20,468
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.