Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#42952 08/13/01 02:16 PM
R
rhflynt Offline OP
OP Offline
R
We just got back from AC we had a great, great, gtreat time even after we had a room invasion about 2:00 AM. They got some of lthe other couples money about $300. They came upo stairs wher we were sleeping soundly but didn't find our money. I wasn't as organized as my friends on the bottom level. He hd his billfold and his wife's purse sitting by their bed in chair. His wife saw the woman coming down the spiral stairs and thjoiught it was lmy wife coming for water of a diet coke and didn't pay much attention to her. When the intruder went out the door our friend realized it wasn't who she thought it was. They just got the money and left the wallet and purse. Then i saw them take off on bicycles, but of course it was notheing we could prove had we caught them, because we had no proof them money they would have had was our friends. So be advised not to leave your doort unlocked on AC or anywhere for that matter. So it was our fault for being to stupid to remember to lock the door. Of course thie could have happened anywhere. I'm not knocking AC. Despite this misfortune we Still had a wonderful time. I will not name the place we stayed because I don"t want to hurt their place of business, for they were too nice to us as all the people we encountered while on AC. except for the early morning Invaders.

We dove with Aqua Dives and they were fantastic and treated us with the utmost care and courtesy. We went to the Blue hole despite the unfortunate happening on the Sunday we arrived. I know the has been a lot of talk and spectulation but some things happen no matter haw caareful you tey to be.
POeople get killed in automobiles every day but we keep on driving and riding. So ther is no reason for people to stop diving in AC or try to hold anyone accoutable for the diving accident.
Our plan had to be repaired before we could leave Miami on AA. My son's dive gear was not at Belize City Airport when we got our luggage. It went to Dallas Tex, but it was brought to Tropic Air the next day. So that worked out okay. My wife got s stomach virus for a night and a day but snapped back. These are afew things the didn't work right but as a whole we still had a wonderful time. AC is a wonderful place and we did really enjoy our stay.
Again bad things happen to someone somewhere all the time. But that is life so yoiu go on and deal with what hand is dealt.
Until next time Keep AC Like it Is.
rhf

#42953 08/13/01 02:39 PM
I agree that this sort of thing can happen anywhere, but unfortunately it is happening with increasing frequency in San Pedro. The hotel owners have met on several occasions to discuss what can be done.

My own opinion as a travel writer is that hotels have an obligation to protect their guests and their guests' property. Naturally they can't guarantee 100% security, but they need to cover all the basics. And that means providing security, either with security staff or with dogs. If they can't do that, they perhaps need to rethink their business plan.

Quite a few of the larger, better hotels on the island (and for that matter around the country) do have security, either 24 hours or at least at night. It doesn't have to be obvious, and guards don't have to walk around with rifles, but an alert watchperson is good insurance against petty theft.

--Lan Sluder
Belize First Magazine http://www.belizefirst.com/

Lan Sluder/Belize First
http://www.belizefirst.com
#42954 08/13/01 04:14 PM
KC Offline
If I remember correctly, when some of us "boarders" got together at Fido's on the 4th of July, someone mentioned that their room had been broken into, and they (management) caught the kid, who had been "on his way home from school." You know, just stopped off for a quick look-see in your hotel room! It think it was Nancy -- Island Girl. Where are ya, Nancy?

This is so, SO too bad that you have to lock up tight at night, as one of the very BEST things I love about being on AC is having the windows open at night, and enjoying that wonderful breeze.

Kathy

"You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think."
#42955 08/13/01 04:52 PM
I haven't brought this up before because I was sure it was such a rare event. However, when I was in San Pedro in April 2000, the manager of a hotel there told me that there had been a nasty breakin/invasion at the resort next door and the tourist couple had been injured during the robbery. She also said that there had been some other incidents (not so severe) and that security was being beefed up at the resorts because of this. She also said that the couple had been flashing around their diamonds and Rolexes and wads of cash. That was another reason I haven't mentioned this before.

When it comes to terms of your own safety, you should act with caution as you would anywhere. There is absolutely no reason to take any good jewelry or watches to SP (other than your dive watch). There is absolutely no reason to be flashing cash around. Who cares? Who are you impressing? Well, perhaps a thief or an opportunist.

As has been discussed before, there is no reason to be more afraid in SP than any other place and in fact, you are still probably safer there than many, many other places. Regardless, normal precautions should be taken. Don't be careless (lock your doors), don't be foolish.

I even put a chair in front of my door so that if someone is able to get the door open while I'm sleeping, the moving of the chair will wake me up. I do this everywhere I go, not just SP.

A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

#42956 08/13/01 05:22 PM
F
F
This really does need to be addressed somehow. It just wouldn't be AC if all the hotels were walled compounds like in Jamaica.

I agree with Lan though, I also think hotels have a very real responsiblity to provide security on their grounds.

In the meantime folks can do what they can which is use credit cards and travelers checks and only keep minimal cash at any one time. Do use the room safes as well.

#42957 08/13/01 05:40 PM
B
B
My wife and I will be arriving soon on AC for our first visit. I have traveled extensively throughout South America and Europe and can tell you that there are "incidents" similar to the type I have read about on this board at all destinations. The difference is that AC has this board, which helps to "advertise" the incidents through no fault of the people posting the messages. This board is a great means by which people can communicate and share experiences, both good and not so good, about AC. If anyone that scans this board thinks that AC has an unusually high number of incidents... think again. The difference is that we are able to read about the incidents on this board. This should help to remind us as travelers to be cautious... and SMART.
Seashell hit the nail on the head.... Leave the jewelry and wads of cash at home, use some common sense and everything will be OTAY!

Now lets go out there and have some FUN!

#42958 08/13/01 08:36 PM
R
rhflynt Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Our hotel manager said that they hadn't been locking their office but started putting locks the very next day.
It still remains clear that you have to LOCK YOUR DOOR. The whole world has changed and we must be willing to change if we are going to exist. I'm not going to quit breathing because I smell something that stinks.
We left all our jewely at home and didn't have a whole lot of cash. We paid our room
with cc and our diving also. The only thing we used cash was for food and water and beer.

Our maid told us that who ever it was, probably had been watching us since we had been there and saw the number of empty bottles and thought we probable would be sleeping tight which was somewhat right.
I was just so relaxed on the island even after the invasion, but a lot more aware of my surroundings.
The sad part is, the very next day everyone looked like the invaders, which was, as I have been told is a natural feeling. It soon passed as soon as we began to talk to the different people we delt with.

Like I said, that was the only person or persons that we encountered that gave us a bad experience.

I live in a small town with about 300 registered voters WE have breakins there and I keep my doors locked and everything else locked up.I know most of the people there. Some will steal the salt out of bread. So there you are.
until next time His old Georgia Boy got an Education that everywhere is pretty much the same.

rhf

#42959 08/13/01 08:49 PM
Sorry flynt, my post was NOT intended to suggest that you had behaved the way those others had. I was merely trying to suggest to newcomers to SP that it is not necessary to take all those things with you.

You are probably right about the "sleeping tight" part though. (g)

#42960 08/13/01 08:58 PM
R
rhflynt Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Seashell

No offense taken I was just explaining some more of the details since I was in hurry when I first posted and thjought of it after reading all the postings. It is still good advice. I like people for who they really are, not what they want me to think they are.

rhf

#42961 08/13/01 10:09 PM
I must say, you've certainly handled this whole thing much better than I believe I would have.

Hopefully, the rest of us won't have to find out how we would handle such a thing.

You are have a good spirit.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 290 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.