Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
S
S
But a rotisserie chicken place is needed close to Marina's Store!

How about a good daily newspaper! smile

C
Colby Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Anyone know anything here - I know this is probably a broad question, but, on average, what do tour guides typically make daily? Is this a high paying position- is it fairly common? Are dive operators, fishing guides, jungle tour guides etc.. all grouped together under the "guide" license or are their variations for each?

Thanks,
C-

S
S
There are numerous individuals, businesses and resorts currently offering these services. Unless you have something "unique, new and different" to offer, starting up a new business in any of these areas (diving / fishing / tour guides, etc) would be duplication of services.

Tour guides have very specific requirements (I believe they have already been covered here), but it is very difficult for a non-citizen to obtain. Others can assist with rates of pay, but I would venture a guess of BZ $10 /hour (US $5) for an experienced and licensed tour guide (independent contractor).

And, IMO, even if you were able to secure the proper licensing, doing so could be viewed as a threat.

Originally Posted by Rykat
How about a good daily newspaper! smile

Why, I can't imagine you know how to read.

C
Colby Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Originally Posted by SnoopysMom

And, IMO, even if you were able to secure the proper licensing, doing so could be viewed as a threat.

Would opening a company and hiring locals guides to run it also be viewed as a threat? I would think that this would be welcomed by creating more jobs.

Thanks-

S
S
Message board advice is worth just what you paid for it

JZB Offline
Colby, Opening a business and hiring Belizeans is completely different than coming down here and taking one of their jobs. You didn't clarify.

Originally Posted by Colby
Originally Posted by SnoopysMom

Would opening a company and hiring locals guides to run it also be viewed as a threat? I would think that this would be welcomed by creating more jobs. Thanks-

JZB's comment aside, and understanding your intentions completely I can only assume (Odd Couple connotations aside as well) that the offer to open a tour operator business and hire locals is likely to be seen in the same light as "I'm from the government and I'm here to help you"...i.e with some serious scepticism.

By way of explanation I would simply offer that given the number of existing local tour operators (Bleizean born or naturalized) and the number of tourists available at any one time, the offer to increase the number of tour operators is likely to be viewed as simply diluting the number of tourists available to the exisiting operators...

but then, I know nothing...

So, from the looks of all the questions and comments, I would say your original question wasn't really hypothetical. If you can't offer something unique and geared to what locals want and need (they're the ones that are there day in and day out) your business will probably fail within the first year. Just sayin'....

But good luck with that.

Words have power. Speak it into existence.
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 114 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,204
Posts500,029
Members20,468
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.