Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
Everyone who's ever been in a bicycle race will know that there's also a motorcycle race involved in the background. That happened when the motorcycle riders race to the finish line - ahead of the cyclists - to see the end of the race.

On Saturday morning that race proved fatal at the boom junction for one cycle rider. Monica Bodden has the story:

Monica Bodden Reporting

The accident happened around this curve at the junction of the Boom Hattie Road and Bacab Echo Park - a little after 8 on Saturday morning. 3 out of the 4 bikes flew over this culvert - while the other- ran off on the left hand side of the road. The tire marks clearly printed in the muddy ground - indicates the area where all 3 cycles landed.

All 4 men were service motorcycles in the race that morning which was organized by Ray Cattouse. On the cycles were 47 year old Marlon Smith, 49 year old Andrew Ordonez, 35 year old Steven Hall and 31 year old Alwyn Gonzalez.

Marlon Smith who was allegedly trying to overtake the other 3 cycles lost control of his cycle and ran off on the left hand side of the road. That triggered a chain reaction which caused the other 3 men to lose control flying off on the opposite side of the road.

Alwyn Gonzalez flew over the culvert and landed neatly in a ditch - But unfortunately for Andrew Ordonez and Steven Hall - slammed into this palm tree and then on some rocks in the area.

Ordonez broke his right foot and left hand - while Hall - who was not wearing a helmet, received massive head injuries and died on his way to the hospital.

One cyclist who witnessed the incident was Ernest "Jawmaine" Meighan. He wasn't a part of Saturday's race but was out on the road doing his workout. He told us while stopping to fix a flat tire on his bike, the incident unfolded before his eyes.

Ernest Jawmaine Meighan - Cyclist
"I was training with two of my guys, and I got a flat about a couple yards from the finishing line. So, I was trying to fix my flat before the finishing came, because I wanted to see the finish of the race."

Monica Bodden
"You heard the cycles coming at that point right?"

Ernest Meighan
"Well, usually before a race, or for spectators, when you hear a motorcycle coming, the race is usually coming to an end, so when I heard the motorcycle, that's when I was trying to hurry and fix my flat because I want to see the finish of the race. So, when I heard the sound of the cycle coming, I was trying to hurry, but fixing my wheel, I saw 4 cycles coming. And one of the guys lose control, and I think that made the rest of the guys lose focus on the curve, and not knowing that the curve is right on them. That's when Ordonez and Scorpio lost control, meanwhile Alwyn, he has more experience on cycles; he decided not to touch his brakes, and he came straight through. Someone was behind him, and all he did was that he skid in the mud and water."

Monica Bodden
"So he was carrying a passenger?"

Ernest Meighan
"Yes, he had a passenger on the cycle."

Jawmaine was one of the first to render assistance to the men. He described Saturday's accident scene to us.

Ernest Meighan
"The first guy who caused it, he crashed, but he didn't crash too hard. The second person down was Scorpio, then I saw Ordonez after - actually Ordonez's cycle was on Scorpio's back, that's when I took off my riding shoes, jumped off my bike, and went into the bushes to help. That's when I pushed the cycle off Scorpio's back - I think it was the green cycle that was Ordonez's cycle."

Monica Bodden
"Was he still alive? Was he breathing?"

Ernest Meighan
"When I picked him up, he didn't say anything. I couldn't pick him up myself, but I held his head, and there was a lot of blood. Blood was pouring down his face."

And according to Meighan, only 2 of the 4 men were wearing a helmet.

Ernest Meighan
"What saved Ordonez is that he had on a helmet. I think if Scorpio had on a helmet, he would have probably lived."

Monica Bodden
"So he wasn't wearing a helmet?"

Ernest Meighan
"No, no helmet at all."

Monica Bodden
"Were the others wearing a helmet?"

Ernest Meighan
"Actually, Alwyn wasn't wearing a helmet either. The only guy who was wearing a helmet at the time was the guy who lost control first, and Ordonez."

Monica Bodden
"And the guy who lost control, His name is?"

Ernest Meighan
"I think it's Marlon Smith."

Monica Bodden
"He was riding in the front?"

Ernest Meighan
"He was in front. He was the first guy that pulled the curve, and he lost control. I think he pulled the curve too wide. Usually, when you pull a curve, you start on the inside and probably drift out, but I think that he pulled the curve on the outside, and couldn't make it."

Monica Bodden
"How would you describe the scene on Saturday Morning after everything happened?"

Ernest Meighan
"Well, actually, I deleted all images. It was a terrible scene to see Scorpio on the ground, and he head was actually in the ground. I decided to help him and put him n the truck."

Unfortunately for 35 year old Steven Hall, he passed away before reaching the hospital. Hall who is known by many as DJ Scorpio was one of the 3 founders of Belizean Movements - which became one of the biggest sounds in Belize. And while his family, friends and fans are still trying to digest the tragic lost - 2 of his friends shared with us what they remembered most of Scorpio.

DJ Lindy
"Stevie, Scorpi, Scorpion - all the names he had - was humble guy. He was a 'go-getter' all the same. To generalize, in everything that he did - he dealt with music, car dealing, sound systems - he was a humble 'go-getter'. That's Scorpio in nutshell

DJ Bush
"Scorpio and I were friends from about 95. We were founding members of the Belizean Movements. I parted ways with him, but that doesn't mean that I ended our friendship. We were still friends, and when it came to the music and the system, we stuck to the goal that we wanted to do. For a blow like this, I don't see anybody that's going to fit the shoes for Scorpio. He had a big heart just like me. When it came to his work, I don't see anybody that's going to fill Scorpio's shoes. It's a blow not only for me, but for the industry."

Monica Bodden
"Where were you when you got the news?"

DJ Lindy
"To be honest, I was asleep. I got a call, answered the phone, and it was like a dream. I just hung up. And when i was fully awake, I looked at my phone, and I watched and still couldn't believe. I made a couple calls, and I heard people crying, and that's when I believe it. That was about after 9 in the morning."

DJ Bush
"I was sleeping; the phone was off. So a couple of friends came over, got me up, and told me that they found his body. I was confused. I got over to the hospital, and found out that he was dead."

DJ Lindy
"It's still hard to believe. I personally think that Stevie is still around. He might not be around physically, but I know that my friend is still smiling, and lingering about. Even though he isn't physically here, what will hurt to not see his presence, I know that my brethren is still about. It's just with time, everything will go, and we will accept it, but he is still here."

DJ Bush
"With the memories, we have a lot of memories. One of the things that took me back was the first time Scorpio came to me. I didn't know he could he could have played records. Coming up, I was one of the younger guys playing records, and one day - used to be over at Bird's Isle, and he came over with a school bag - he was still going to Wesley, and he came over and he asked me for a chance at the turn-tables. I looked at a friend with me, and he looked back, and wanted to see what he could do. He got on, and I was impressed. Those days, it was really records, we didn't use CD's. So, that's one of the great memories - that's the first time I met Scorpio. And from there, we became friends. He came over every evening, played records, and his family became my family."

Steven Hall was the father of one little girl.

Channel 7

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

Motorcycle accident claims the life of DJ Scorpio

DJ Scorpio

A road traffic accident on Saturday morning on the Boom-Hattieville road has claimed the life of a cycling official and left another hospitalized. The victim of the fatal incident has been identified at disc jockey, and cycling official Stephen Hall, also known as DJ Scorpio. According to reports, Hall was driving a motorcycle towards the end of a cycle race around eight o'clock on Saturday morning, when he lost control of the bike and crashed. Three other motorcycles were involved in the fatal crash, which happened on a curve near the road leading to the Bacab Eco Park facility. Another cycling official identified as Andrew Ordonez sustained multiple broken bones and is receiving treatment at a hospital in Belize City. Only minor injuries were sustained by other motorcyclists involved in the Saturday morning crash. Love News understands that Hall was not wearing a safety helmet at the time of the crash, and he reportedly died from the impact when he was flung from the motorcycle. According to information to the RSV News Centre, the C-Ray's Cycling club was the sponsor of the Saturday morning road race as part of the team's preparation for the upcoming Holy Saturday Cross Country Cycling Classic. The race did not finish as the riders all stopped at the scene when they came upon the accident scene. Tributes for the fallen Disc Jockey and cycling official have been pouring in. Today, the National Institute of Culture and History expressed their deepest condolences to Hall's family. Karen Vernon is the Theater Director at the Bliss Centre for the Performing Arts where Hall worked for a number of years. There was another fatal road traffic accident involving a motorcycle, this time on the Hummingbird highway. The victim has been identified as thirty two year old Belize City fisherman Elmer Hamilton. Hamilton's crashed motorcycle was found in a ditch off the Hummingbird Highway near mile forty two on Saturday evening. Hamilton was taken to the Western Regional hospital suffering from a large cut wound to the middle of the head and abrasions to the back and foot. Hamilton was later transported to the Karl Heusner Memorial Hospital where he succumbed to his injuries whilst undergoing treatment early on Sunday morning.

LOVETV

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 291 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.