Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
G
OP Offline
G
My wife and I will be visiting for the first time in March and staying at Grande Caribe. Do the local restaurants, bars, and tours accept credit cards? Just trying to figure out how much cash I need to bring.

R
ron Offline
R
Most everyone will take a credit card. Just a question of the charges your bank will make on the card. Foreign exchange fees etc. Some better then others has been discussed many times.

T
T
Use your c. card on hotel,dinner, tours,most vendors will give you a bigger discount with cash.The smaller guys are cash only,and you don't want to limit yourself.We have A.T.M. machines,credit cards are not regularly used because of the FEE.

We have found cash is best. We estimate what we will need per day plus any trips we want to take while there. You can gauge trip costs from the different web pages (Mayan Ruins, water taxis, etc). Most places have a safe either in the room or at the front desk area that you can lock up extra amounts.

C
C
When you say cash, do most places accept US dollars or is most everything in BZ?

Thanks-
C

Originally Posted by Colby
When you say cash, do most places accept US dollars or is most everything in BZ?

Thanks-
C

You can use either everywhere but will normally receive your change in BZD. Just make sure to use up your BZD before you leave the country.

As for credit cards, Capital One doesn't charge a foreign transaction fee. If you have that one or another that doesn't charge, you should charge the more expensive parts of your trip (resort plus any tours booked through your resort, golf cart rental). Nicer restaurants will take CC and won't charge an extra premium. Now that we're living here, we use cash for nearly everything, but it's a bit more challenging on a trip. Many places take traveler's checks as well, and you can cash them at the bank. Kind of a pain, but that's what we did when traveling here to avoid carrying tons of cash.

ATMs are available, but our bank charged a foreign transaction fee, plus there was a local fee for the ATM as well. We had a lot of unexpected surprises w/fees after our first trip here so wised up for subsequent trips.

Good luck and enjoy your trip!

Former Belize expat traveling the USA & Mexico
http://travelingtwosome.weebly.com
G
OP Offline
G
Thanks for your info everyone. Can't wait to get there and after seeing more of the place last night on The Bachelor my wife and I are really looking forward to our visit.

K
K
an FYI---just got back tonite. Over the last week, 2 places passed through the 5% they are being charged by their local bank.

Flyfishing my way through mid-life crisis.
E
E
Krehfish, please share the names of the places who add the 5%

K
K
Ernie, not going there. Just a good idea to check/ask first.

Flyfishing my way through mid-life crisis.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 353 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.