Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

Mayan artifacts unearthed

The ongoing infrastructure works in San Ignacio town continues to unearth buried artifacts. The latest find occurred today. Love TV's Patrick Jones spoke by telephone a short while ago with the director of the Institute of Archaeology Dr. Jaime Awe.

LOVETV

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

Works halted a second time due to discovery of Mayan artifacts

We reported late last month that works on the infrastructure project in San Ignacio were halted because while digging the streets, workers made an exciting discovery. Maya Pottery and other artifacts were unearthed on the Town's main Street, Burns Avenue. Well works have once again been halted in a specific area on Burns Avenue as contractors came across even more Mayan pottery while doing upgrading of the Avenue. Dr. Jaime Awe, Director of the Institute of Archeology tells us more.

Dr. Jaime Awe, Director, Institute of Archeology
The way the pots are organized obviously indicates that it is part of an offering. Right now it is somewhat in the shape of a cross. When I say that however, I don't refer to the Christian cross, I mean that they seem to be placed on an x axis; that's what I mean by a cross. We also seem to have double parts; one at the bottom and one at the top and that's very common in Mayan offerings. So we will see whether more pots will come out, but most of it seems to be dating back as early as the birth of Christ to 200 AD. However, when we take them out we will be able to tell better.

We understand that that area is still marked off but contractors have started works on another segment of Burns Avenue until the archeological department is finished with extraction of the pottery and other artifacts.

PlusTV

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 251 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,204
Posts500,030
Members20,470
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.