Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#43125 08/23/01 09:44 AM
S
OP Offline
S
I've been hearing all about Barefoot Skinny and he sounds great but is there any other live music happening in San Pedro in the winter months? And what are the chances of a a high energy accoustic duo getting work playing music to support a month long visit to San Pedro? The repitoire would include: Lively foot stomping beer drinking tunes, classic rock and pop, blues, Jimmy Buffett,some original tunes and a couple of reggae tunes thrown in.

#43126 08/23/01 11:27 AM
Probably some kind of arrangement can be made but it can be risky. You will need a work permit to make it legal or they might just show up one day and give you the boot.

Take a look at the following quote from Belize Report website for starters:

Quote--
Work Permit Fees are now as follows: Professional and technical workers: $750; general workers: $100; seasonal agricultural workers: $25 per crop; entertainers in groups of two to five: $250 each; individual entertainers: $150; missionaries, educational and volunteer individuals: $25. Barring exceptional circumstances, work permits will not be granted for waiters, vendors, domestic workers, and farm hands.

For further information, telephone the Immigration and Nationality Department at: 501-8-22611 or -22423; or the Labour Department at: 501-8-22204.
End of quote--

Go to this site: http://www.belizereport.com/info/immigration2.html

and also:
//ambergriscaye.com/economics/entryreq.html

Hope this helps,
**Jim

[This message has been edited by Sandcrab (edited 08-23-2001).]

**Jim
#43127 08/23/01 04:00 PM
S
OP Offline
S
Thanks for the info Sandcrab! I just wrote a message and it disapeared on me so I don't know if it got sent or erased. Sorry if you get an incomplete one before you get this one. Anyway I'll check out the sites you recommended.
Are you a musician yourself? Are there a lot of musicians looking for jobs. Or do you think there is some demand if the music is good?
I appreciate your's or anyones time here.

Thanks again,
Dan

#43128 08/24/01 06:42 AM
No, I'm not a musician Seahorse. Wish I was--the only thing remotely close to that industry that I do sometimes is sing karaoke. I do a lot of the older stuff like Sinatra, Dean Martin, Bobby Darin, Mac Davis, Eddy Arnold, Humperdink, Ray Price, etc.

I like to write a little too but have been remiss in that direction lately.

I'm sure lots of tourists show up with guitars and harmonicas, etc. and have a little fun in AC. That's no problem, but if your going to entertain, whether or not you receive payment, you would need a work permit to make it legal.

I'm definitely no expert on this, but Dallas Dave or Barefoot Skinny are well-versed in this area, and could fill you in with the latest on entertaining in AC.

Have a great time,

**Jim

[This message has been edited by Sandcrab (edited 08-24-2001).]

**Jim
#43129 08/26/01 01:44 AM
Sure, there's a need for more quality entertainment on AC. There ain't much, and there are plenty of resorts looking for live music. That being said, Sandcrab's right about the permits, and they are usually very hard to attain without connections. The other obstacle is actually getting paid for what you do. It took me 7 years of busting my butt and repairing salt infested equipment to make my show fly. Only in the last 2 years has it really started to pay off. I know I make it look easy to those who see me, but the fact is, it's a job, (fun job), that requires much more than setting up and playing. Anyone can do that. But how will you be received? How will you get along with the Belizean ways of doing things? How will you move your gear in the middle of the night? And most importantly, will it pay your expenses? If you can answer all these Qs with a good response, go for the permit. Just don't be upset if I have your crowd at my show, even when we're playing the same night.<grin>

PS. Find out what I'm up to at www.broadjam.com/barefootskinny

Your's not in the Caye of "A"
#43130 08/26/01 09:40 PM
S
OP Offline
S
Hey, good reply Mr Barefoot! I hope to meet you one day. Questions that I have been thinking about, but well said. I'll see what happens on this end. One of the big problems is the cost in getting from the east coast of Canada to Belize. Thanks for the info and I hope to get a crack at stealing your crowd someday! :-)

Dan

#43131 08/27/01 01:24 AM
I'll be looking forward to it! I like to see good entertainment too! Let me know if I can help.

PS. Find out what I'm up to at www.broadjam.com/barefootskinny

Your's not in the Caye of "A"
#43132 08/27/01 02:38 AM
seahorse, quit whining! [Linked Image] must cost way more for us Western Canadians to get to SP than it does you guys!!!

A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

#43133 08/27/01 02:54 AM
Seashell, where are you? I'm in BC and have to agree with you -- airfare is high! Perhaps it is just as expensive from the East Coast?

#43134 08/27/01 04:56 AM
Karaoke huh, Sandcrab?...LOL
Now that I'd like to see...and hear! [Linked Image]

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 327 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.