Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#431769 02/29/12 07:03 PM
P
pirk Offline OP
OP Offline
P
Hello all,

I'm looking for some advice on options to call back to the US as well as making calls within Belize.

First a little back story . . . I'm an doctoral student in anthropology and I will be beginning by fieldwork in Belize (Cayo District) soon. Overall, I will be spending 12 months in Belize. I am wondering what my best options will be for the cheapest way to make calls both within Belize and back to the US? Since I'm staying an extended period of time, renting a phone most likely isn't an option. Also, what is the deal with voip services like viber or skype. I know that BTL blocks these, but can a VPN be used to by-pass?

Thanks!!!

Last edited by pirk; 02/29/12 07:04 PM.
R
ron Offline
R
One way that's easy is to either bring and unlocked phone with you from the states or buy a phone here. Buy minutes like everyone else does and you dial direct to the states. I think it cost about $.50 a minute or less. Voip is blocked but many people claim to use a VPN to get around it.

C
C
VOIP, true its blocked but many ways to get around that, lots of people using it, you can get an easy answer to that when you get here. It can be set up here. Dont want to post it. I use Skype.
Unlocked cell phones are easiest. Every week or so you can buy double and triple minutes. Usually on Fridays if you buy $50 worth of time on your cell phone you will get $150 credit. making U.S. calls about 15 cents a minute, local much less. Under $50 will get you double the minutes....

LONELY PLANET SAYS TOURIST LOVE OUR ART. BEST PRICES ON ART.
K
K
Can't help you in country, but if you have an Iphone, you can text any other Iphone at home.

Flyfishing my way through mid-life crisis.
P
pirk Offline OP
OP Offline
P
Thank you for the advice. I think I'll go the unlocked phone route. Any suggestions on a model of phone to buy here in the US? I've heard that not all phones will work with a Belize SIM card.

Thanks again for all the help.

You can get the ATT phones pay as you go from Walmart. But I have an ATT account. I put my US sims card in the cheap pay as you go phone then call ATT and ask them to unlock it and they do. Some phones you can get for 20 bucks. Then when you get to the airport at BZ international walk across the street to BTL and buy a BZ chip and minutes and put it in the phone.
Mary

mary
You can also buy unlocked, quad-band phones on eBay. I have seen them for $20-30USD.

A hug is the shortest distance between friends. ~ Author Unknown
R
ron Offline
R
I've bought unlocked phones from B&H and fromJR Music both online. I have used several brands of phones here, Motorola, Samsung, Nokia and Blackberry and they all worked.

T
T
I use my iphone, unlocked, and buy minutes on my Belize sim card. If you go to a local dealer in your area they can tell you which phones they can unlock (and they probably sell them) and let them know what country you will be in. Very easy, I work from Belize all the time now. Although I find the lines sometimes glitchy and not great quality, I get done what I need to get done.

Originally Posted by pirk
Thank you for the advice. I think I'll go the unlocked phone route. Any suggestions on a model of phone to buy here in the US? I've heard that not all phones will work with a Belize SIM card.

Thanks again for all the help.

Most phones work with local sim cards but for sure the Trac phones do not.
I just tried to get one unlocked and failed.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 312 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.