Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#432528 03/09/12 11:13 AM
D
dawg Offline OP
OP Offline
D
I read something about problems with the water taxis such as, they take longer than they used to to save gas. Also, they may be very crowded and uncomfortable, etc. I looked up the Tropic Ferry and it sounds pretty nice. We are looking for round trip from the Belize airport to San Pedro. We are staying at the Conch Shell Inn which is right by the boat dock, we understand. I need to hear from the experts. 14 sleeps away. Dawg

The harder I work the luckier I get.
R
ron Offline
R
The other day I went by water taxi from Caye Caulker to San Padro and there were less then 20 people on it. I've also been on the water taxi when it was completely full. Don't think you can predict how full any boat might be although those leaving later in the afternoon from Belize City tend to be crowded with people going home, tourist coming and school kids coming home. I don't think the taxi's are going any slower then they used to.

S
S
What is the cost of the taxi from the airport? If you have luggage is it a problem

S
S
Between 25-30 BZ. Michael is the taxi driver I use. He has a Montero Sport which is a SUV with lots of luggage space. His number is 6280117.

P
P
Originally Posted by Surendra
Between 25-30 BZ. Michael is the taxi driver I use. He has a Montero Sport which is a SUV with lots of luggage space. His number is 6280117.

Intl - Bz City for this? Sure it isn't US$

My experience is that the taxi from International to Belize City is 50-60 Bz / 25-30 US.

S
S
I get BZ and US mixed up all the time , it is $25-$30 US. My apology.

Surendra

J
J
You can fly right from BZE for close to the same price as Tropic Ferry. In a fraction the time.

R
R
dawg, I have traveled by water taxi, and plane many times. Now you mentioned Tropic Ferry which is a relatively new service. It is my understanding that included in the price they will meet you at the airport and bring you to their boat which is only a few miles away from the airport. Luggage is no problem at all and it will be handled by them. They will deliver you to your dock in just over an hour. There is no other cost other than the $125USD price per person round trip. No taxi's or other transportation is needed if your resort is located near a dock.

If you have someone with you that doesn't like small planes or if you have a pet with you this could be very appealing. If you just want to get to the Island in a little different way this could be it. Also there is no problem at present with being over crowded. This service is not used by the locals so much so there will probably be very few on the boat with you which is 41' long. It is not the cheap alternative that the regular water taxi is and it is tailored to tourist. The time difference between the plane and Tropic Ferry depends on your timing of course. The plane could get you there a little sooner or about the same to your resort depending on timing.

I don't think there is a bad decision here. Of course if you are very unlucky and the weather is really brutal it is a case of would you like to be in the air or on the water? Enjoy your trip.

Jim
Formerly from somewhere on a beach in Belize

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 318 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.