Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
C
OP Offline
C
Hello,
I'm looking for some current information regarding the seagrass issue on Ambergris. I read the article posted earlier about the seagrass that has been washing up on the eastern caribbean shores recently. I am considering coming to Ambergris in May but was looking foreward to enjoying the beaches.
Is every bit of the beach on Ambergris covered in seagrass or just in some area's?
Can you smell it all over the island, just at the beach... or not at all?
Thanks
Case

Most areas have cleaned up - especially those where people live and vacation.
There are a couple of untended stretches of beach that look icky, but overall it's nice and the island smells absolutely fresh.
No worries - come to visit.

Just for clarification, Seagrass is not at issue; it's native vegetation typical of the seabeds adajcent the beaches and part of the natural ecosystem. Yes it does wash up on a regular basis. Some folks have cleared the beds off thier beaches to provide a more "desirable" seaside experience, but most have not.

This year there has been a large amount of sargassum weed which has been driven into the coast line by winds and currents from areas far to the east of Belize. This is unusual, and it has been present in unusual amounts. Dianes comments above well represent the situation at this point.

L
L
We are south and the smell this a.m. Is nauseating. There are some areas that have let it pile up. With our high season in full swing, hope the landowners will make an effort to at least clean up the plastic.

R.B. Mernitz
The smell is fresh and lovely in Mata Grande - not much sargasso and we've taken on our usual 1/2 mile of beach-plastic cleaning.

I've given up on expecting non-resident landowners themselves to care --- one of the more upscale resorts south of us owns the worst stretch of beach in our area - they keep their hotel beach pristine but let their other properties look like landfill. I'm sure management would prefer it otherwise but the offsite owners have refused to fund clean-up. I have asked them directly to be better neighbors and they said no.

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 291 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.