Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#434604 04/01/12 06:23 PM
C
OP Offline
C
I'm going to Ambergris Caye next December for a friend's wedding, and I'm thinking about driving down. Does anyone have any tips/suggestions/comments/etc? I'll be driving from Florida with 2 other friends and we'll split the driving amongst us. My main concerns are:
- driving through Mexico. I googled it and it seems like it's a relatively safe drive, but I'm still a little nervous about it.
- getting from the mainland to Ambergris Caye, and what to do with my car for the week I'm there. This is the biggest logistical concern, and I'd love any suggestions or advice.

Thanks!

Don't , way more trouble than you can imagine. Get a flight and save some money.

White Sands Dive Shop
https://whitesandsdiveshop.com/
Originally Posted by elbert
Don't , way more trouble than you can imagine. Get a flight and save some money.

All of your main concerns are EXACTLY why you should not try to drive..........I can't even imagine trying to drive from Florida to Belize........I think it is insane to say the least!!

I'm happier than a pig in s__t...a foot on the sand...and a Belikin in my hand!
Keep in mind that it's some 1,400+ miles just through Mexico, depending on where you enter the country, plus the mileage from Florida to the Mexican border (another 600-800 miles each way).

So figure at least 3 or 4 nights motel costs in Mexico each way (no way should you drive at night).

Plus gas each way.

Plus meals each way.

Plus Mexican auto insurance.

Plus Belize auto insurance.

Plus any bribes.

Plus toll road fees, any repairs, miscellaneous.

Plus entrance fees to Mexico and exit fees from Belize.

Plus paying to leave your car somewhere in Belize (probably best off leaving your vehicle in Chetumal or Corozal) when you're in San Pedro.

Plus the risk of driving through the border areas of Mexico with their drug cartel problems.

Definitely quite an investment in time and money and hassle.

R
ron Offline
R
Lan, you make it seem so much fun. It could have the makings of a Hunter Thompson type road trip.

Would you do me a favor, could you let CNN know when you leave so I can watch the reports, if and when they try and find you're body, Thanks...:-)

S
S
When being sarcastic it's always best to check YOUR spelling first...

B
B
My friends (who I just joined in Mexico) are driving from Washington DC to Argentina at a much more leisurely pace. Gas is a HUGE expense.

But you can do it...they have been blogging about the trip www.capitolsouthbound.com

They are on the island now and left their car in Corozal with Mr. Menzies Transfer service (It costs $5usd a day to store it at his secure camp area). They took the Thunderbolt boat over to the island.

Good luck!

Originally Posted by ron
Lan, you make it seem so much fun. It could have the makings of a Hunter Thompson type road trip.

"Fear and Loathing on The Road to Belize"....a Hunter S THompson and Hope/Crosby Production

I live 100 miles from the Laredo/Nuevo Laredo border town and the news I hear about the death/shootings/kidnappings are true. I have guys that I work with that are from the Laredo/ Piedras Negras area that don't like going there. And for good reason. It is just not safe in Mexico.

Take the road less traveled
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 273 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.