Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#43531 08/28/01 04:57 PM
OP Offline
can you tell us a little more about the "economic citizenship program"? Never heard of it? And what about buying an existing business and wanting to employ Belizeans??? Is this a different route than regular citizenship?

#43532 08/28/01 05:03 PM
M
M
You guys should get Lan's book "Adapter Kit Belize". Amazon has it for $13.00. It explains each route to residency in detail including the Economic Citizenship Program (you invest secure about $25,000 into a belize bank I think...)

#43533 08/28/01 05:37 PM
Basically the "economic citizenship program" is the buy-a-passport plan. For around US$60K for a couple, give or take, you can get Belize citizenship and a passport. Though costly, it has several advantages besides citizenship including the elimination of the 5% alien tax on property transfers, which if you're buying a big chunk of property becomes a factor.

The program dates back a number of years. The UDP really got it going, and because it's a revenue producer for Belize the PUP have continued it. There has been a lot of talk about discontinuing the program. We'll see. It certainly isn't one of the bright shining lights of Belizean democracy, but many countries (including the US) have similar programs -- the U.S. programs costs a LOT more, though.

My new book does have information on it.

--Lan Sluder

Lan Sluder/Belize First
http://www.belizefirst.com
#43534 08/29/01 01:11 AM
OP Offline
Lan- I know we got your 1st book, but I haven't read it yet, cheri has it.. but can you email us this info at [email protected] thank, Rick

#43535 08/29/01 09:56 AM
Florian,

I don't quite understand your analogies about the Belize Defence Forces with the British Army. The Belize Defence Forces are purely a Belize institution, run by, commanded by, paid for (well, more or less) by Belizeans. The Brits may provide some occasional training, but I think that's about all the connection. These days, being a Commonwealth Nation doesn't mean much beyond getting an occasional visit from Prince William or the Queen.

Most of the participants in the economic citizenship program, of course, haven't been reprobates, reformed or otherwise, but Taiwanese and other Chinese looking for a second passport, just in case.

--Lan Sluder

P.S. Rick, my new book, Adapter Kit: Belize, is shipping now from Amazon.com and is in larger bookstores such as Barnes & Noble and Borders. It should be more widely available, including in some libraries, within a few weeks.

Lan Sluder/Belize First
http://www.belizefirst.com

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 266 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.