Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

DANIEL GUERRERO

Representatives from UNICEF met with Mayor of San Pedro Town Daniel Guerrero to address issues regarding the disparities our children's health, education and life chances. And while infrastructure and facilities are lacking, UNICEF and the Town Council in San Pedro are creating ways to better the lives of children on the island. Love News spoke with the parties involved and here is what we found out.

According to Christine Norton who is a representative for UNICEF, they along with the Town Council are looking into applying successful initiatives aimed at making communities better places for the most vulnerable children and adolescents.

Norton stressed the need to invest more in community-based action which allows young people to be central to the planning and implementation of interventions that affect them. On a global level, UNICEF and UN-Habitat have also been spearheading the Child-Friendly Cities Initiative, providing services and protected areas which seek to put children at the heart of the urban agenda.

LOVETV

Sorry..... I am not a supporter of UNICEF and I urge SP to be careful dealing with UNICEF. They make their money off of poor children. I support finding homes for orphaned children. UNICEF would rather see orphans live in orphanages than be adopted by families.
They will donate money so that Governments will not support adoptions. Be careful. Below is a link for FYI.

http://ethicsalarms.com/2010/12/08/unicefs-unethical-war-against-international-adoption/

mary
Mary, I couldn't agree with you more. I refuse to donate to this dysfunctional organization on airplanes and everywhere else. Lot's of millionaires made from this scam and we shouldn't support them.

Captain One Iron
All quite interesting. Mary can you outline the reasons why UNICEF opposes international adoptions? How is it justified, what is the history of this policy?
In my own extra-curricular work with orphanage/adoptions I've seen both sides of the dilema - NGO's with bloated administrative budgets, mind-boggling regulations and few results ....... but have also seen some amazingly shoddy international adoption agencies that appear to be mostly about moneymaking and not that much about the welfare of the child.
With what are essentialy baby-sellers posing as adoption agencies, or with religious fanatics placing kids as part of their desire to convert the world - how do you protect the kids from that ......
How do you propose we balance these concerns, what agency if any has what you consider a wiser view, a better way?
How would you restructure the system for the benefit of the kids?

My questions are not meant to initiate a debate please let's not let this most important discussion devolve into bashment - I really want to learn and I hope other readers of this thread do as well. If we can become better informed perhaps we can assist in improving the welfare of the world's children.

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 147 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,204
Posts500,029
Members20,468
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.