Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 49 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 48 49
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

FISHING REPORT

Week of November 26th - December 3rd, 2011

Weather Conditions: High pressures behind cold front to maintain cool and windy weather. Showers and periods of light rain.

Winds: North to Northwest 20 - 30 knots, then moved to NE 20knots.

Air Temperature: Highs: 26C/79F, Lows: 18C/64F

Water Temperature: 80.

Moonphase: The first quarter moon on the 20th.

WHAT GUESTS WERE CATCHING:

BONEFISH: Some giant schools of bonefish showing up on the east side - so up from the lodge, beach side. The guides report hundreds of "big bonefish (4 - 8 lb fish) in schools right off some of the docks! Congrats to Jeff, Eric, Justin, Renee and Kara for their first bonefish.

PERMIT: Permit shots all week, but the final comment is, "It's too cold for them to eat!" All the same, schools 5 - 15 lb, and then some bigger fish found south of San Pedro. Jeff caught a small permit on spin. We primarily used the "Avalon" and the fish followed��. Smitty was awarded a "jack" pin because he landed a jack, but really, really wanted a permit on fly.

TARPON: Yay Bradford! Tarpon on fly. And Justin, first tarpon on fly as well! Lot's of shots of tarpon from the north to the south, but when the wind went NE it shut down.

SNOOK: They're around.

FLIES THAT WORKED

Frank was our featured tier this week. We made Avalon's out of all kinds of materials - we were short on the beads, so we modified the fly. It got the attention of a lot of permit! Light flies on Savannah, tan, white. Small crabs working well for bonefish.

This Week's Summary:

It was really fun to have so many of our friends here this week. Guests who have been coming here for years - so everyone feels right at home. I do think I need some more support. When the guides and the guests give me a hard time I can't hide! Sorry you guys are going to miss our Christmas party this year! It was a great week of laughter, serious angling and bonding with new and old friends. We also celebrated our Office Manager, Marlin's, 23 rd birthday! It's wintertime in Belize and it's pretty nice.

Guide of the week: Captain Tomas had Mark in tarpon like you read about. It was really wonderful to watch these two head out each morning. Mark had a ridiculous number of bites and was able to land one on fly! Captain Tomas worked with Mark to make his fishing trip!

L-A [email protected]

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

FISHING REPORT

January 15 - 22nd, 2012

Weather Conditions: Mostly sunny with a few showers. With that we also had some sensational rainbows!

Winds: NNE then moved to ESE.

Air Temperature: Highs: 27 C/ 81F Lows: 20 C/ 68F

Water Temperature: 78

Moonphase: Last quarter on the 16th.

BONEFISH: Jill didn't think she could do it, but congratulations for your first several bonefish on fly gal! Trapper and Adam got into bonefish armies out in the back lagoon via our Fish Hawk Kayaks. There were a few 7 lb bonefish landed out in the lagoon this week. Tailing fish! Ian and Ian, father and son had some incredible bonefishing with Captain Raton.

PERMIT: Dan landed his permit on fly the last day he was here with Captain Kechu! Talk about the big incentive for coming back! And then, I don't know his magic, but Steve landed 5 permit on fly, in addition to his grand slam! How is that? He and Captain Emir were unstoppable. And Captain Carlos lead Whitey into 2 permit on fly - not bad from a guy who lives in Smithers!

TARPON: Steve did it for his grand slam on fly! Gary and Captain Cesar knocked it out of the park on the first cast of the day! A nice 40 lb fish on fly, way to go Gary. Whitey had one on over by Solanas, but they lost it. And then way to go Grant from Botswana - landed tarpon of fly with Captain Sinoe. And then they partied! Imagine�.

SNOOK: Steve was going for his "Super Grand Slam" but didn't find any takers for the fly. Snook fishing should stay around for another month or so - or until the dry season starts.

FLIES THAT WORKED

Some innovative crab patterns for permit , but mostly Christmas Islands size 4 and 6 for permit in orange. Savannah fish are loving 1/0 in light tans, yellows�.. bunnies, toads, cockroach patterns all working. Dan's fly was the winner for bonefish, but it's a secret. Oh well, time to get at the vice and copy!

This Week's Summary:

We had this wonderful wacky group from Botswana this week. We all had such a good time as we watched big time game hunting guides in Africa turn into Belizean tourists. Way to go. Ian Sr. said, "I'm so surprised that there are people here from all different walks of life, yet we all get along so well! " My answer, fishing. Fishing is the common denominator here at El Pescador. And it is truly magic. Listen to this one. Dan was a little sad in the morning before fishing. The weather was looking challenging at best. I walked in to the restaurant and said, "Well, this looks like the day I went out and landed a permit last week!" Dan said, "Yeah, last week stories." I went on to tell him how a double rainbow came out and then I landed my permit. So, he and Jill go out to see what the day was going to bring with Captain Kechu. Rainbows and permit! Yeah!

Guide of the week: Captain Emir for bringing Steve into his first Grand Slam and�..5 permt. All on fly. Wow.

L-A [email protected]

Fishing photo of the week:

El Pescador guest Travis's Grand Slam

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

FISHING REPORT

January 22nd - February 5th, 2012

Weather Conditions: Mixed weather as cold front conditions threatened the first week presenting some rainy days as well as a some sunny days�. then we got hit with another cold front that decided to hover. By the end of the week, the cold front dissipated and we ended up with a weekend of flat calm, beautiful weather blowing from the NE at about 5.

Winds: With the cold front, the wind changed directions daily. 5 - 15 mostly from the NNE. Today it's 3 - 5 NE and beautiful.

Air Temperature: Highs: 27 C/ 81F Lows: 20 C/ 68F

Moonphase: New moon on January 23rd

BONEFISH: Thank goodness for mudding fish, tailing fish, and waking fish! We did not have a lot of sun, but we did have bonefish on fly and spin to keep our anglers happy.

PERMIT: Steve landed a permit on the 4th with Captain Cesar! Way to go, numero uno. Dale landed permit on fly with Captain Cesar as well.

TARPON: Dale landed tarpon on fly�he had his permit and his tarpon�and let his buddy have the deck after that. Wow.

SNOOK: Snook landed on spin. Snook are not part of the catch and release program, maybe someday. They are great eating, and that's the problem. They are also a magnificent fish and with the big three, make a Super Grand Slam.

FLIES THAT WORKED

The Avalon fly for bones and permit! On the calm days you needed plastic eyes, or bead chain with a good presentation. Christmas Island Specials in yellow this week for permit�� light colored flies in a 1/0 for tarpon. Cesar is crazy about the tan toad for tarpon, size 1/0.

This Week's Summary:

Wow. We have had a ton of activity around here these past few weeks. We had a big group of 40 fellow businessmen and anglers come together. This was their 28th year for these fishing trips, and it was really fun to witness special friendships, which started with a fishing trip years ago. We had some tough weather, but I have to give it to our guests who really kept a good attitude and made it happen! We worked on casting, and learning as well as fishing. Big fun!

Guide of the week: Captain Cesar for double tarpon on fly!

L-A [email protected]

El Pescador Guest Garry K and his Tarpon!

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

FISHING REPORT

February 5th - 12th, 2012

Weather Conditions: We had some flat calm days which was really fun for riding in the boat as much as fishing! Full moon tides and pre cold front conditions. The cold front came in at the end of the week, with close to 25 knot wind on Sunday.

Winds: NW @ 5 knots, moved to SE, then back to NNE up to 25 knots at the end of the week.

Air Temperature: Highs: 27 C/ 81F   Lows: 20 C/ 68F

Moonphase: Full moon on the 7th.

BONEFISH: We've had some stellar bonefishing along the beach north of the lodge. These are fish up to 6/7 lbs, which is huge for us. Mark and Carol wandered up the beach and Mark had some nice bones on fly and Carol found some on light spin. Jeff took the lagoon by storm once again�.tailing fish up to 4 lbs. A big part of the EP experience is all the fishing that can be done as "Do it yourself" fishing. And our bonefishing is best for this experience.

PERMIT: Steve landed permit on fly with Captain Cesar. First cast, two strips�permit. Others had follows and trout sets. When it was flat calm, we had tailing fish along the beach up by Rocky Point. Mostly anglers cast to schools of fish - watching for the wakes, and then intercepting them with the fly. And that fly is almost always a Christmas Island Special.

TARPON: Jeff landed a 15 lb tarpon with Captain Emir our by Mosquito. With the weather, most of the guides have been fishing the West coast. Ray S. landed 2 one day with Captain Sinoe. Sinoe was in fish all week, it was just about finding the day and the fly.

SNOOK: Ray and Kate brought back a 10 lb snook, but they said they missed several in the 20 - 30 lb range! Sometimes those big fish decide they don't like flies, no matter how hard you try. But what a take when it happens! Our snook season, which is generally a winter one, is still strong.

FLIES THAT WORKED

The Avalon fly for bones and permit! On the calm days you needed plastic eyes, or bead chain with a good presentation. Christmas Island Specials in yellow this week for permit�� light colored flies in a 1/0 for tarpon. Cesar is crazy about the tan toad for tarpon, size 1/0.

This Week's Summary:

It was old home week as Ray S returned with his clan to seduce the flats with their flies. Ray and Kate, thank you. It was great to see everyone! We had days like you read about. Really pretty mornings - flat calm that lasted about 3 days. We adventure out, test our skills, our endurance, our comfort level�.and we tap into a part of life that keeps giving back.

Guide of the week: Captain Sinoe for finding a ton of tarpon all week.

L-A [email protected]

El Pescador Guest Stephen I and his Snook!

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

FISHING REPORT

February 12th - 19th , 2012

Weather Conditions: Our weather has started to settle out -still have some wind, but mostly sunny beautiful days!

Winds: North, then NE, Easterly ending the week ESE @ 10 - 15 knots.

Air Temperature: Highs: 27 C/ 81F    Lows: 20 C/ 68F

Moonphase: Last Quarter on the 14th, Valentine's Day Moon.

BONEFISH: Just a great week for tailing bones in the lee! And some dandies in the 4 - 6 lb. range caught on both fly and spin. Weedguards needed for those turtle grass flats on your bonefish flies. (Seems I always get stuck with not enough flies with weedguards in my box!). With the morning and late afternoon rising tides, we have good fishing both in the lagoon as well as the front up the beach.

PERMIT: Norm does it again with Captain Carlos! CIS to one fish, and he ate! Mark from Bozeman landed a nice permit with Captain Emir. Captain Cesar put Meredith on permit, she landed a nice one, and then went on to try for the grand slam�.and soooo close! Lots of permit found on the front as well as the back. Average permit size 8 - 10 lbs, but there are some 30 lb fish swimming around teasing us! All fish caught on fly.

TARPON: Meredith had one on with Captain Cesar. Marty landed a tarpon on spin with Captain Cesar - worth that early departure. Lots of tarpon shots out around Savannah to the West coast.

SNOOK: Carrie landed a nice 10 lb snook on fly. Guides reporting snook up to 30 lbs, but not always wanting the fly.

FLIES THAT WORKED

This Week's Summary:

I just love seeing our repeat guests! Like the seasons that package their unique gifts in nature, our anglers show up to remind me it's "that's time" to be with their favorite guide and make fun adventures happen each day. It's really heart warming to see the guide's face light up when he sees his friends return. Stories start before they leave the dock�as well as a new plan for the day in front of them. Karl and Nancy were here and time flew by! Smiles all around. And it was a special treat to see my friends the Tones. I started guiding them 20 years ago, and we just had a big fun week here in Belize. That's the life we live, are we are so lucky. Fishing is good right now!

Guide of the week: Captain Carlos, "The Legend." For a reason.

L-A [email protected]

El Pescador Guest Adam showing correct catch and release technique

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

FISHING REPORT

April 5, 2012

The seas have been quite rough lately, 7 to 10 foot waves. The weather has been humid and hot. No rain, but hazy days. The fishing inside the reef has been a bit slow. Mostly small snappers, jacks, small groupers and as usual, the fish that always saves the day from coming empty handed, the famous barracuda.

Now, weather permitting, the offshore fishing has been pretty good!! The dorado's have been biting pretty good; caught about 15 this week, and for down here, that is pretty good. These, are considered to be the best eating fish on the ocean!! The tuna's have been active on the late evenings as well. Mostly, blackfin that range from 5 to 10 lbs. That is the average size we catch down here. Sailfish season has started but it has been too rough to go out for them. Also have been catching some wahoo as well as we are at the ending of the wahoo season.

The flats have been doing ok, but mostly only for bonefish since the weather has not been too favorable to go for tarpon and permit. If you can beat the other boats to the bonefish honey hole behind Cangrejo Caye, it is a sure thing, but you have to use a long leader, 16 ft, at least with a small fly, preferably a Christmas Island.

Now you can always catch medium size tarpon all year round in the channels at the south end of the island with life bait and occasionally with flies too, if you are lucky.

Hoping for the breeze to die down to get down to some serious fishing!! Tight lines

By Capt Hillyboo

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

FISHING REPORT

April 12, 2012

Well, with the coming of the full moon, the strong Easter winds died down together with it as usual except for a few showers here and there, but nothing to stop a true angler from going out for some serious fishing; and boy am I excited about writing this report, because it was one of the best fishing weeks ever!!!

It is sailfish season down here and there is quite a bit of sailfish around, but you have to know how to catch them, because they can be tricky. If you want to drift fish for them along the drop off, where they usually hang around looking for food, the best bait is using a live sardine with a small hook with a short wire leader and about 15 feet of 150lb test shock leader to go with it. A few friends have landed some this week and on good Friday, I landed 2 myself!!! The sailfish down here are Atlantic sailfish and are relatively small, average 30 to 50 lbs, but can be a lot of fun on light tackle.

The dorado's are still doing good, caught some nice ones this week, but my ultimate day was today, April 11th. Landing 2 white marlins, a 40 lb dorado and a bunch of black fin tuna's and big barracudas!!! Now that is what I call a great day of fishing down here, since white marlin are rare for down here and consider yourselve lucky if you catch one or two for the whole year, so landing 2 on the same day is exceptional!!!

The flats have been doing good, mostly for bonefish and permit. The tarpon have been a bit elusive this week. The bonefish honeyhole, behind Cangrejo Caye is a sure thing but you have to know how to catch them, because they are starting to get tricky or real smart, I guess that is why they hang around in schools, ja ja!!! I will give you a few tips on how to catch them next week. From what I here from my other fellow captains, the reef fishing has been a bit slow, except for the old faithful, the barracuda.

Just got to keep your lines in the water and hope for the best, after all it is called fishing, not catching!!!!

Tight lines, Capt Hillyboo

Here is a white marlins I caught yesterday, there were two.

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

FISHING REPORT

April 20, 2012

The seas stayed calm for a couple of days, just enough to go chase some tuna. The tuna start migrating down here from May through September; but it seems that they are starting to come a little early this year!!! But u have to get up real early if u want to catch them. And I mean at least 5 o'clock in the morning, because by 7 they stop biting. I was able to catch about 50 little (torpedo) tuna, that is black fins, ranging from 5 to 10 lbs and with light tackle, they are a lot of fun to catch and make great sushi and tuna salad or casserole!!!!

The dorado's and the sailfish are still biting. Some friends of mine caught a few this week and I personally landed some nice dorado, but no sailfish.

It rained and the breeze starting blowing for a couple of days after that, and the fishing got a little slow with it. But it has cleared up and the fishing is back to normal. From what I here from Omar, (the doctor of the flats), the flats have been doing pretty good for bonefish and permit.

Now going back to last week's report, the way to catch the bonefish at the honey hole behind Cangrejo Caye, u have to use a 12 foot leader with 4 feet of 10 lb Tippett with a small Christmass Island fly and u are sure to score. Now if u are spin casting, make sure u have some hermit crab to entice them. They just can't resist it!! U will have multiple hook ups!! I have landed up to 50 this way!!' No lie. Well maybe 60!! Ha ha!!

Tomorrow I am going out deepsea fishing and I am going out to Turneffe Atoll, which is one the hottest spots for fishing and I am excited to see what the ocean will have for me tomorrow . I will let u know on next 's week report.

Tight lines, Capt Hillyboo

Here is a dorado I caught this week.

J
J
Great looking Dorado Marty....who's the guide? Is he available for pick up at Caye Caulker?

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
check with Hilly boo, he is the guide....
http://fishingunlimited.bz/

Page 5 of 49 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 48 49

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 139 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,202
Posts500,025
Members20,466
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.