Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#435568 04/12/12 04:13 PM
T
OP Offline
T
Hello!! I am 24 and have spent time in San Pedro working with one of the schools. I am now wanting to move to Ambergris Caye. What are job opportuniites like? teaching school? waitressing? Where do I find an apartment/small house/condo to rent that isn't for a vacation? What is the cost of living like there? I appreciate all input! I'm fine with a small place to live...nothing fancy needed. I'm currently a social worker in Mississippi and would ultimately love to do some form of social work/Christian ministry there. Even if its on my own and I work at a bar to make a living.
-Tamara.

You should probably read the threads regarding moving, work permits, etc. You will need to be financially independent and self sufficient to live there for at least a year to get residency then apply for work permit. All jobs, rightfully, go to Belizean citizens. If you want to "do good works" you'll have to have support from home for quite some time. You're not nearly old enough for the QRP.

But keep looking...where there's a will there's a way. Good luck.

Words have power. Speak it into existence.
T
OP Offline
T
what is the QRP?

Qualified Retirement Program..........for us old folks!

I'm happier than a pig in s__t...a foot on the sand...and a Belikin in my hand!
M
M
Qualified Retired Person(s).

I think you have to be at least 45 years old to apply.

R
R
In addition, under the QRP program you cannot be employed. You need to be independent for at least a year to live here as a foreigner and then enter the maze of government and apply for residency. People do get work permits but I doubt you would get one for a bartender's job or something like that and they are not cheap.

If you have some money come down for a short while at least and see what it is all about. Maybe it is what you want and maybe it isn't.

Good Luck

Jim
Formerly from somewhere on a beach in Belize
Can I be on QRP and OWN a business?

John deVerteuil
S
S
Yes under the QRP you can own a business but you can not work in it.

I wish you very well and hope your dreams come true. With hard work, motivation and desire it is absolutely possible you'll make this happen. Congratulations for taking the first steps by looking into things and reaching out.

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 271 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.