Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
O
OP Offline
O
Does any know the best way to ship things to the island? I am starting to believe that it is cheaper and quicker to get on plane and take it there yourself. Which is not a bad idea, but kind of impossible right now.
I called the Post Office there rates where ridiculous also, but not as bad as the others. They said airmail is 7 to 14 days and economy is anywhere from 2 to six weeks and Airborne,UPS and FedEx are totaly out of control with there prices and amout of time. are flight everday to Belize from the states. Whos has everyone used? Any ideas? Please help.
Jackie

If you want it to get there within a week...and you want to make sure it gets there and gets delivered....then you need to send it either Fed Ex or you can use DHL if you have it in your area.

At least this way...it can be tracked in case it "mysteriously" gets lost.

I've had some things sent thru the regular mail a few times and more than once...i didn't get it. Once it was a package that was sent from San Ignacio to the island.

Fed Ex. and DHL are expensive.....but..it's reliable and safe. Tropic will call the recipient when it arrives to come and pick up. They will also call you from the DHL office which is Castleberry, Ltd. (Western Union people)

The only other option you might try is to watch the message board here and find someone that is going down soon...mail it to them in the states and let them bring it.
(If it's not too big of course)

KC Offline
Sandshaker,
You mentioned Western Union. Is it possible to send $$ to the Island via Western Union? Every once in a while I need to send some $$, and every time I put that check in the mail, I hold my breath for three weeks... hoping it arrives. I'd like to know if Western Union is an option. Thanks a bunch.

Kathy

"You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think."
ojackieo, how big is your package? if it's relatively small, let's talk. I'm heading down 9/12.

IJ

My own experience, and I mail hundreds of small packages to Belize each year, and get quite a few from Belize as well, is that mail service to and from Belize City is fantastic -- I can send or receive Belize City mail faster than mail from my home in North Carolina to Boston or even Atlanta. Only once in a blue moon is a letter or package lost. Belize's mail service is FAR superior to that in Mexico, Costa Rica, Honduras or elsewhere in the region.

Now, to San Pedro it takes a little longer going and coming, but only a few more days.

To more remote parts of Belize service can be very s . . l .. o .. w. Sometimes it takes months to get an airmail package to Placencia, or from there.

The downside is that postage to Belize from the U.S. is very high, and there is no longer an international book rate, so books and magazines, which are heavy, are very costly to ship.

--Lan Sluder
Belize First Magazine http://www.belizefirst.com/

Lan Sluder/Belize First
http://www.belizefirst.com
To answer the question about Western Union, (sorry SS, you must have blinked, and I cut in here), yes you can send Western Union to Belize from the U.S., but the amount has to be under $500 a day. Its simple, just send it to the person's name and Belize, no address necessary. They just have to show I.D. to pick the money up. It helps if they have the confirmation number, but I've picked up W.U. without it.
--Silk

KC Offline
Thank you very much for that info about Western Union! Now I will check out the cost.

My experience with mail service is this: A letter to G. A. Roe and Sons Insurance Co. in Belize City took over 2 weeks. A letter to Caye Management in San Pedro took almost 3 weeks.

If W.U. isn't outrageously high, it will be worth my peace of mind to get it there quickly and safely.

Kathy

"You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think."
I have an old Western Union money transfer rate sheet.
To send .01-100 was $15.00
100.01-200 was $22.00
200.01-300 was $29.00
300.01-400 was $34.00
400.01-500 was $40.00
etc. etc.
If you send over $5000.00 fees start at about $220.00. Also after a set amount you must provide your ss#to Western Union. Also if you send over $5000.00 little additional fees become involved on top of the wire fee. also telephone notification and other stuff is extra.
Remember that your money will be converted to Belize dollars and the receipent will lose some money in the exchange. Also (not sure about this) but I believe that a fee is involved for the user to go and collect the money.
Another idea is that if you know a Belizean with a bank account that is trustworthy you can do an international wire transfer. Must have the routing number for the bank and the Belizeans account number and name. We use this service all the time and the fee from our bank is currently $21.00 whether you send 15.00 or 10,0000. So that is just another alternative.

To send anything to Belize is expensive and in MHO just wasting your time, your money and your friends money. Your friend will end up having to pay the postage from Belize City to their town, plus if its anything of value a duty will be due. Just easier to do the please anyone going to Belize and would like to take something for me or bring it with you on the next trip.

[This message has been edited by kcbc (edited 09-02-2001).]

M
M
Hey Jackie..
If you can get it to me in Seattle..i go down on 9/29!

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 343 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.